Meads not clearing.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don "Ho"

Reaction score
Both of the meads that I have are still very cloudy and the fermentation seems to have stopped.

The first mead I started on 01/14/08 and havent seen any activity since 02/25/08. The current SG is 1.064

The second mead is my leap year mead and I moved that to the secondary on 04/05/08.

I had a gallon Ancient Joe's that I just bottled and it was very clear.

I am at a loss and need help again.

Thanks guys

Don "Ho"

Well, if your sg is 1.064, that's a long way from finished. It won't clear until it's finished.

For the second one, that's a really young mead as well, too. I wouldn't worry about it not clearing for another 4 months or so.

I'm glad to hear we should not worry, I have been wondering about my leap year. It is not even beginning to clear, but a few other 1 gallon batches have cleared out nicely since then. I wonder if the Leap Year Mead needs some more nutrient, or even a complete Re-Pitch?
I know that Honey is very slow to ferment, so I am not too worried.

I had the same feeling BK. I had a couple clear up real nice. Need to just relax I guess..

Thanks
Don "Ho"

for those whose meads have not cleared you could try sparkeloid or bentonite. They work very well for those meads or wines that just wont clear. I have had great success with them.

SuperKleer works great also, never had it fail me yet. If the SG is not dropping then i would add some nutrient and possibly some energizer also.

Hey Don,

I'm new to the list but have been mazing for a long time.

We know from the Icelandic Sagas that mead was generally drank soon after it was clarifed, and the overall impression I get is that they didn't wait long for that.

Also from discriptions and when a batch was started I suspect freeze distillation may have come into play which can hasten clarification

In an attempt to recreate I pay little heed to gravity although there are discriptions of using eggs for hydrometers from the 14th century.

If you want to rush the process you can shock the gravity by adding sterile water usually that'll cause the lees to settle out within a week

Bjorn

I'm not sure why one would would think that there is a potential problem if their meads do not clear within a few months ..... Depending on the yeast strain I'm using, I will go a minimum of 2 months before racking for the first time, and in the case of some of my meads where I use a strain that is known for imparting favorable lees aging characteristics (D47 for example), I will go 6 months to a year before racking for the first time.

One needs patience if they are going to be a sucessful mead-maker. All of the traditional (by traditional I mean not a 'quick-mead' like JAO) meads I make are bulk-aged a minimum of 2 YEARS before I bottle - if, that is, I actually decide it's ready to bottle at that point .....

Patience Grasshoppers, Patience! :ban:

- GL63

I am understanding patience and I am trying.. but the SG has not moved in a couple of weeks. I tried some engerizer last week with no change. I thought that once the SG had stabilized it was time to bottle.

Wondering what to do next tho..

Don "Ho"

I'm forcing my patients. I started a batch of apfelwein in the carboy I'm racking into.
I did add a little nutrient to the leap year...didn't help. Haven't checked gravity as again...trying to be patient. I will rack when the apfelwein is done...good bad or otherwise.

I'm not sure why one would would think that there is a potential problem if their meads do not clear within a few months ..... Depending on the yeast strain I'm using, I will go a minimum of 2 months before racking for the first time, and in the case of some of my meads where I use a strain that is known for imparting favorable lees aging characteristics (D47 for example), I will go 6 months to a year before racking for the first time.

One needs patience if they are going to be a sucessful mead-maker. All of the traditional (by traditional I mean not a 'quick-mead' like JAO) meads I make are bulk-aged a minimum of 2 YEARS before I bottle - if, that is, I actually decide it's ready to bottle at that point .....

Patience Grasshoppers, Patience! :ban:

- GL63

I think this is a killer post. Sometimes I get all wound up when I realize I have mead sitting in the primary for 7 months. It ain't 2 years but I hear yah, GrantLee63

Then I realize...I just want my carboys back! Let it sit mang!

Age of the batch aside, there are other issues besides an active culture which can cause you problems with clarification. Wax content in your honey can be very problematic along with pectins and numerous other items which like to suspend, just thought I'd offer the water trick as an alternative to refined enzymes and other chems which can alter the flavor.

As GL63 says patience is best.

Bjorn

Back