Looking for a Flanders Red recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Does anybody have a Flanders Red recipe that they are confident in, and wouldn't mind sharing. I would like to brew one tomorrow to put on a Roselare Yeast cake that has a La Roja clone that needs to be transferred to a secondary.

I think I have decided to do a recipe that is supposedly a Dutchess De Bourgne clone. I had it the other day and thought it was a really good beer. Here is the base ingredients:

6.00 lbs. Lager Malt(2-row) Great Britian 1.038 1
2.00 lbs. Flaked Corn (Maize) America 1.040 1
18.0 2.00 lbs. Crystal 40L America 1.034 40
1.00 lbs. Honey Malt Canada 1.030 25
0.13 lbs. Chocolate Malt America 1.029 350

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.75 oz. Goldings - E.K. Whole 6.00 15.7 90 min.
0.75 oz. Fuggle Whole 4.00 4.9 15 min.
Mash Type: Single Step

Grain Lbs: 11.13
Water Qts: 20.00 - Before Additional Infusions
Water Gal: 5.00 - Before Additional Infusions

Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 1.80 - Before Additional Infusions

Saccharification Rest Temp : 152 Time: 90
Mash-out Rest Temp : 168 Time: 10
Sparge Temp : 180 Time: 40

Total Mash Volume Gal: 5.89 - Dough-In Infusion Only

All temperature measurements are degrees Fahrenheit.

Notes
-----
Add .25 ounce of Med French Toasted Oak in the keg

I need to move this out of primary and into a secondary. I am planning to pitch 6 gallons of new wiry onto this yeast cake.

I believe the wild brews book points out that Duchesse is back sweetened. Now I was over in Paris the other weak and found it on tap, it tasted not as sweet as it does in bottle here.

Hmmm. Are you sure that's not Lindemann's Lambics? (I know, old post, but maybe he's still here)
Well I'm not sure about the Lindemann's products; I’m not really familiar with them. Other than the Faro, which I think by definition is back sweetened?

My understanding of Duchesse being back sweetened was based entirely on word-of-mouth and of course various posts on the interwebs. However, your question made me go back and try to find a definitive reference to Duchesse being artificially sweetened. I found a number of posts in various forums alluding to Duchesse being sweetened but nothing definitive. I did a quick flip through “Wild Brews” and it mentions that Duchesse is blended and pasteurized/filtered, but I didn’t find a reference to it specifically, as being back sweetened.

Then after some further trolling of the interwebs, I came across this post in the BA forum…

Duchesse de Bourgogne - Belgium - BeerAdvocate

To summarize, it’s an email from Karl Verhaeghe at Brouweri Verhaeghe in which he states:

“… we did not, are not or have not the intention to use aspartame, nor saccharin or anything of these kind of products in our Duchesse de Bourgogne as well as any other of our other beers. “

So unless something has changed, or this is just a bogus email (I kinda doubt it), Duchesse is in fact NOT back sweetened with any artificial sweetener and I stand corrected.

It sounds like I need to get a copy of wild brews. About a month ago I brewed Zainasheff's Flanders red from Brewing Classic Styles and am now watching pellicle formation. One question I have though is how the carbonation develops in sour ales? This is my first and with no kegging setup I'll be bottle conditioning.

One question I have though is how the carbonation develops in sour ales? This is my first and with no kegging setup I'll be bottle conditioning.

I've bottled at about a year and not had any issues with carbonation. My assumption is that there is plenty of Brett in there to take care of it.

I've got some coming up on 18 months that I want to bottle and am concerned. I'm thinking of adding some dry yeast. I've read somewhere that if all the yeast is gone, then the bugs will consume the sugars, and they don't make CO2.

I've bottled at about a year and not had any issues with carbonation. My assumption is that there is plenty of Brett in there to take care of it.

I've got some coming up on 18 months that I want to bottle and am concerned. I'm thinking of adding some dry yeast. I've read somewhere that if all the yeast is gone, then the bugs will consume the sugars, and they don't make CO2.

Ive never failed to have one carbonate so long as its not a ridiculously high alc%, however I have started recently to adding a pinch of wine yeast to the bottling bucket to ensure carbonation, if you go that route use an acid tolerant wine strain like k1v116. It will ferment in just about any circumstance its a real beast

I am doing another sour brew today that will be blended with my first generation flanders. The first generation was brewed about 6 months ago. Here is today's recipe:

7.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 49.54 %
2.00 lb Acid Malt (3.0 SRM) Grain 14.15 %
2.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 14.15 %
2.00 lb Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM) Grain 14.15 %
1.00 lb Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 7.08 %
0.13 lb Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) Grain 0.92 %
0.75 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] (90 min) Hops 11.3 IBU
0.75 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] (15 min) Hops 5.2 IBU
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.073 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.019 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 7.12 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.65 %
Bitterness: 16.5 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 18.3 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge Total Grain Weight: 14.13 lb
Sparge Water: 3.30 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F TunTemperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 17.66 qt of water at 163.7 F 152.0 F

I did transferred this beer from primary to secondary last Saturday. Now just another 12-15 months and I will get to taste it.

6653748777_1b3b2ae227_m.JPG

I did pitch another 5 gallons onto the yeast cake, making it the third generation Roselare yeast cake. It didn't start right away and it has been really popping the airlock, but there is fermentation going on. 15 gallons of Flanders in various stages at my house right now.

I don't know if you follow The Mad Fermentationist but he has an extensive recipe list with a few flanders and many other sour beers.

Back