gelatin finings?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You want the beer to be cold when you add the gelatin. Chill haze will form when it's cold. Adding the gelatin with remove the haze and drop the yeast. You should have crystal clear beer in a few days.

Not sure where in the thread it suggested adding gelatin to chilled beer...but doing so will result in instantaneous coagulation of the gelatine. It needs to be mixed into room temperature beer, prior to chilling.

Think about it...liquid gelatin turns to..."jello" in the fridge. ;)

Seems like I may have made a big error in reading the previous entries and I added the mixed gelatin/water solution to my already cold beer that has been chilled, carbonated and kegged. How big of a screw up will this be? I don't think I can safely remove the dip tubes to bend them slightly upward.

@msa8967
That is how I normally do it and it turns out fine. Let it sit for 5 days or so and then test it. Your first pint my be a little cloudy but it should be clear from then on.

@msa8967
That is how I normally do it and it turns out fine. Let it sit for 5 days or so and then test it. Your first pint my be a little cloudy but it should be clear from then on.

Thanks for letting me know that this method will be OK. Not too sure that I would be a fan of jello flavored beer pieces.

In order for gelatin to bind with the particulates, it needs to be thoroughly blended (become one with) with the beer. This can only be done if added to room temperature beer. Adding to a chilled keg, the gelatin simply jellied up and floated.

I use one heaping tablespoon for each five-gallon batch, mixed with 6 ounces of water. (heated to dissolved and then cooled slightly).

I've only used gelatin in already chilled kegs and it's worked every time.

I'm about a dry-hop a beer with 3oz+ of leaf hops. I suspect that this will prevent the gelatin that I pour into the carboy 3 days before bottling from getting through. Does anyone have any experience with this? I'd much prefer not to secondary just to add in the finings.

I'm about a dry-hop a beer with 3oz+ of leaf hops. I suspect that this will prevent the gelatin that I pour into the carboy 3 days before boiling from getting through. Does anyone have any experience with this? I'd much prefer not to secondary just to add in the finings.

I wouldn't leave gelatin in the fermenter for 3 days before boiling the wort!!! Probably wont work too well.

Add the gelatin before the hops; same day is OK.

I wouldn't leave gelatin in the fermenter for 3 days before boiling the wort!!! Probably wont work too well.

Add the gelatin before the hops; same day is OK.

Sorry, I meant "bottling," not "boiling." You don't foresee a problem adding the gelatin at the same time as adding the dry hops? Can one therefore add gelatin any time after fermentation, regardless of the dry-hopping schedule?

Thanks

I keep seeing posts quoted in this thread where some are saying that you MUST add the gelatin at room temperature. This is not true. Adding at room temperature may work but you don't have to warm up the beer to add gelatin.

In fact, in the book New Lager Brewing, Greg Noonan says it is best to add gelatin at a temperature UNDER 50 degrees and that closer to freezing is even better.

I have always done it this way and the beer clears up incredibly well. The Gelatin does NOT turn to Jello as some here have been warning. Perhaps people have had issues because they added the gelatin at cooler temperatures but didn't follow the other instructions. Here is what Greg Noonan says:

For a 5 gallon batch of beer, add 5 grams of gelatin to 10 ounces of water, cover it, and let it sit for an hour (to bloom). Then, gently heat it up and stir to dissolve the gelatin. Heat to 150 - 160. Do not go over 160 degrees. Then, do not let the gelatin cool to under 120 degrees before adding it to your beer. In other words, the gelatin solution should be between 120 and 160 degrees when you add it to your beer and mix it in. Mix it into the beer gently for 2 to 3 minutes.

I stir mine into the carboy with a sanitized racking cane. You can also gently rock the carboy. I keep saying gently because you don't want to add oxygen to your beer.

Like I said, this works extremely well. I've done it with a cloudy Kolsch yeast and it cleared it right up. No floating Jello. Just beautiful, clear beer.

I read through the first dozen pages of this thread but could not find an answer to my particular question regarding adding gelatin to kegged beer. I have 6 kegs that I naturally carbonated with corn sugar several months ago. I placed the kegs in my attached garage that stays around 40F. I am wanting to know if adding gelatin to the kegs after they have been chilled for 24 hours will do any thing at this point in the process to clear the beer. Any thoughts?

I used to do this, it works great. I believe it is preferable to add gelatin to already cooled beer. You will lose some CO2 because you have to blow off the pressue to open the corny and dump in the gelatin.

For a 5 gallon batch of beer, add 5 grams of gelatin to 10 ounces of water, cover it, and let it sit for an hour (to bloom). Then, gently heat it up and stir to dissolve the gelatin. Heat to 150 - 160. Do not go over 160 degrees. Then, do not let the gelatin cool to under 120 degrees before adding it to your beer. In other words, the gelatin solution should be between 120 and 160 degrees when you add it to your beer and mix it in. Mix it into the beer gently for 2 to 3 minutes.

I learned about not adding the gelatin below 120 F to cold kegged beer the hard way. I added this around room temp and some of it set so quickly that it blocked my liquid dip tube and I had to take things apart to properly clean it out.

Sorry, I meant "bottling," not "boiling." You don't foresee a problem adding the gelatin at the same time as adding the dry hops? Can one therefore add gelatin any time after fermentation, regardless of the dry-hopping schedule?

Thanks

Ha. That was extra confusing since you boil wort, but bottle beer.

Is there any problem using gelatin finings before dry hopping? I'm using leaf hops to dry hop, so I feel like it'd be best if I added the gelatin mixture before I put the dry hops in. Thoughts?

Is there any problem using gelatin finings before dry hopping? I'm using leaf hops to dry hop, so I feel like it'd be best if I added the gelatin mixture before I put the dry hops in. Thoughts?

That's what I do. No problem.

Question.. I don't have irish moss or gelatin handy. i do have sparkaloid. Will it help with the muddy red hook I just put in secondary?

So do I want it runny and watery when I add, or slightly gooey? I heated two batches to 170 and cooled the same way. The first batch stayed watery, and now the beer is pouring real cloudy.

The second time the gelatin was....well gelatinous. Not jellowy but thick and still runny/gooey. I haven't tried the results of it yet.

Newbe question...
I've been reading several theards on gelatin and cold crashing. I have an IPA ready for corny. If I cold crash my secondary, then do the geletin in the secondary... do I leave the secondary in the fridge while the gelatin does it's thing or take it out and let the gelatin work at room temp?

Newbe question...
I've been reading several theards on gelatin and cold crashing. I have an IPA ready for corny. If I cold crash my secondary, then do the geletin in the secondary... do I leave the secondary in the fridge while the gelatin does it's thing or take it out and let the gelatin work at room temp?

I let mine sit at room temp and it worked great.

Newbe question...
I've been reading several threads on gelatin and cold crashing. I have an IPA ready for corny. If I cold crash my secondary, then do the gelatin in the secondary... do I leave the secondary in the fridge while the gelatin does it's thing or take it out and let the gelatin work at room temp?

You let it work at cold temperatures.

The cold will produce the chill haze, and using gelatin while it is cold, will help precipitate these proteins. It you let it warm up, these proteins become soluble again, and will not be removed by the gelatin.

So, I have read through this thread and followed one members advice re how to prep and use gelatine. My question is how does one know if the gelatine has worked? I know this sounds stupid but I have an anchor steam ale in the secondary given the volume 5 gallons the beer is dark should it be "clear" as in translucent or "clear" as in there are no floating debris visible in the beer. Many thanks advance for the help and direction.

So, I have read through this thread and followed one members advice re how to prep and use gelatine. My question is how does one know if the gelatine has worked? I know this sounds stupid but I have an anchor steam ale in the secondary given the volume 5 gallons the beer is dark should it be "clear" as in translucent or "clear" as in there are no floating debris visible in the beer. Many thanks advance for the help and direction.

Regarless of the color, it should be clear. Judging the clarity of a 5-gallon carboy however is difficult. The answer to your question, lies in the additional sediment that has accumulated after you introduced the gelatin.

Untill the beer has been chilled, given time to condition and clear, and until you examine the beer by the pint rather than by the gallon...you won't be able to judge the effectiveness of the gelatin.

All that said...trust me...it works. :mug:

Well, I've read through this entire thing and don't see my problem being experienced by any one else. I bought gelatin finings from the home brew store, followed the directions and added to my already cooled secondary, which was at ~50. The dropped it to ~35. It's been that way for six days. A very thick layer (~2") of gunk has formed at the bottom, and there appears to be more stuff coaggulated and floating throughout, but it is not at all clear. Clearer, sure, but still very cloudy. It's a honey brown, so it's not meant to be cloudy, i just can't seem to get it to clear. Just give it more time? Try again? Any suggestions?

Well, I've read through this entire thing and don't see my problem being experienced by any one else. I bought gelatin finings from the home brew store, followed the directions and added to my already cooled secondary, which was at ~50. The dropped it to ~35. It's been that way for six days. A very thick layer (~2") of gunk has formed at the bottom, and there appears to be more stuff coaggulated and floating throughout, but it is not at all clear. Clearer, sure, but still very cloudy. It's a honey brown, so it's not meant to be cloudy, i just can't seem to get it to clear. Just give it more time? Try again? Any suggestions?

It might be chill haze

Perhaps "cloudy" didn't properly describe my issue. I've got a beer with some chill haze to it. This thing is muddy. Light cannot even begin to penetrate it. Can chill haze get that bad?

I looked at it again last night. There are globs in suspension. Not sure what they are, but they are not falling out liked I'd expected.. would hitting it a second time with some gelatin hurt anything?

It doesn't taste all that great as is, so I'm in no rush to drink it, but it is taking up space in my keezer, but I'd prefer not bottle it with a bunch of crap floating in it.

Is the dosage on gelatin linear for scaling up and down? I'm wanting to try my hand at cask ales. One of the recommendations I've seen for cask beers is to use gelatin with your priming sugar in a cask.

There is no way I will be able to drink a 5 gallon pin before it goes south. So I am looking at buying a few of the 5L mini kegs and carbing them with corn sugar and adding gelatin when I package them. A 5 liter keg is just over 1/4 of a 5 gal batch. Is it sufficient to just use 1/4 of what I'd use for 5 gal?

Lager. 1.054 to 1.010. It was actually a little clearer than this as the yeast had started to drop out. But I kicked up quite a bit of yeast when I stirred the gelatin in.

Added gelatin at 1045 pm. Here is a day 1 pic. I will post a pic every 24 hrs until I keg it this weekend.

This is primary only. This beer will lager/secondary in the keg.

image-3132295967.jpg

24 hours. It's hard to tell from my crappy photog skills, but its already noticeably clearer. Pic 1 is without a flash. Pic 2 is with

image-3559618211.jpg

Attachments

• image-2964183069.jpg
    image-2964183069.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 698
So I was very impressed with my first attempt at gelatin. I used the 1T/5gal ratio mentioned here and had dramatic clearing on 2 pilsners that are currently lagering.

I have 10 gallons of ESB brewed last Friday. 5 gallons is fermenting with WLP002. 5 is fermenting with WLP005. My current plan is to keg all but 5 liters from each batch. I got my hands on a couple of 5 liter mini kegs. The hope is to rack 5L of each beer into the mini kegs, prime with a small amount of corn sugar, then serve them at a 4th of July gathering as "cask ales" using the vented bung and gravity tap.

My decision now is, when to add the gelatin? These are both highly flocculating yeasts and I want to leave something in the tank to carb up the 5L casks. I figure I have 3 options:

1. Skip gelatin altogether. Since these are high floc yeasts, I figure I would get one, no more than 2 cloudy pours from an upright cask before the beer runs clear.

2. Add gelatin 4-5 days before racking. Then rack to keg and cask. I'd put sugar in the cask and hope there was enough yeast still in suspension to carbonate it.

3. Add gelatin to the kegs, then rack the full 10 gallons into 2 cornys, on top of the gelatin. Then push 5L from each corny into the cask and add sugar. Allow it to carbonate and hope the gel/yeast/trub layer in the bottom of the cask is not thick enough to cause issues with the gravity tap.

I am leaning toward option 2, with option 1 as a close runner up. Since I've not used the 5L casks before, it would be nice to see the trub level I get in one before I actually start putting beer with gelatin still in suspension into one. Option 2 sounds like it should work as a number of people on this thread mention gelatin leaving enough yeast in suspension to still naturally carb the beer. I know option 1 will work, but it would sure be nice to be pouring relatively clear beer from the first pour, since I imagine the casks will go quickly knowing my family/friends.

Any suggestions before I just charge blindly ahead?

winvarin said:
So I was very impressed with my first attempt at gelatin. I used the 1T/5gal ratio mentioned here and had dramatic clearing on 2 pilsners that are currently lagering.

I have 10 gallons of ESB brewed last Friday. 5 gallons is fermenting with WLP002. 5 is fermenting with WLP005. My current plan is to keg all but 5 liters from each batch. I got my hands on a couple of 5 liter mini kegs. The hope is to rack 5L of each beer into the mini kegs, prime with a small amount of corn sugar, then serve them at a 4th of July gathering as "cask ales" using the vented bung and gravity tap.

My decision now is, when to add the gelatin? These are both highly flocculating yeasts and I want to leave something in the tank to carb up the 5L casks. I figure I have 3 options:

1. Skip gelatin altogether. Since these are high floc yeasts, I figure I would get one, no more than 2 cloudy pours from an upright cask before the beer runs clear.

2. Add gelatin 4-5 days before racking. Then rack to keg and cask. I'd put sugar in the cask and hope there was enough yeast still in suspension to carbonate it.

3. Add gelatin to the kegs, then rack the full 10 gallons into 2 cornys, on top of the gelatin. Then push 5L from each corny into the cask and add sugar. Allow it to carbonate and hope the gel/yeast/trub layer in the bottom of the cask is not thick enough to cause issues with the gravity tap.

I am leaning toward option 2, with option 1 as a close runner up. Since I've not used the 5L casks before, it would be nice to see the trub level I get in one before I actually start putting beer with gelatin still in suspension into one. Option 2 sounds like it should work as a number of people on this thread mention gelatin leaving enough yeast in suspension to still naturally carb the beer. I know option 1 will work, but it would sure be nice to be pouring relatively clear beer from the first pour, since I imagine the casks will go quickly knowing my family/friends.

Any suggestions before I just charge blindly ahead?

I vote for option 2. I've done that before and you leave all the junk behind in the primary. They'll still be enough yeast to carb it.

wilserbrewer said:
How about a third option. Keg it all and force carb, fill the mini kegs w/ nice clear perfectly carbed beer from the large kegs on July 3rd.

The mini kegs I have are vented at the top with a gravity fed tap at the bottom. I want to naturally carbonate them and dispense them with air by venting. My dad, uncles, cousins and I will be able to drink 10 L during the holiday. I am shooting for a cask ale concept. I even plan on using a swamp bath of sorts so I can keep them cool but not cold.

My process, that works out great, on a recent recipe:

5 gal Citra IPA
1 week primary
2 week secondary
move to corny keg and chill to 37-39 (the temp I like to serve) for 24 hours. No carbonation yet. Let the chill proteins show up.
1 teaspoon Knox in 150 degree water. stirred, dissolved and dumped into chilled corny
CO2 head space purge then rock and roll to mix
~10psi slow force carb for a week
pull a pint+ of sludge and enjoy a clear brewski, but usually let it condition a couple or three more weeks

My process, that works out great, on a recent recipe:

5 gal Citra IPA
1 week primary
2 week secondary
move to corny keg and chill to 37-39 (the temp I like to serve) for 24 hours. No carbonation yet. Let the chill proteins show up.
1 teaspoon Knox in 150 degree water. stirred, dissolved and dumped into chilled corny
CO2 head space purge then rock and roll to mix
~10psi slow force carb for a week
pull a pint+ of sludge and enjoy a clear brewski, but usually let it condition a couple or three more weeks

Followed this almost exactly, especially the gelatin part. I'll post results in a week or so

I also employ the same procedure as Teesquar with great results, except I boil the water 5-60 mins (good opportunity to add more bittering or aroma hops if needed) along with stainless strainer and funnel to sanitize, then cool to <170F strain out hops if any, <150F stir in gelatin, let set 10-15 mins while I pull cornys from fridge, wipe with star-san, purge with CO2, etc... then slowly swirl and pour mixture through funnel to minimize aeration. Purge and pressurize, light swirl, back in fridge set between 33-36F.

I do 10gal batches. I try to get ~1 cup water post boil and 1/2 tsp gelatin for both 5 gal cornys. 1/4 tsp per 5 gal appears to be enough to significantly clear the beer and I've never experienced jello or off flavors...only a pint or two very cloudy but drinkable pours as expected.

If you move the keg, some of the sediment will resuspend. I imagine the first pours only clear the area around the pickup tube. Let it sit and it should settle again.

I have also had luck using this method on beer already carbonated.

Here's proof 1/4 tsp is enough. No moss, whirlfloc or any other finings were used in this previously cloudy IPA... little did I know at the time that would be the last full pint!

ForumRunner_20131121_151447.jpg

OK. Have a Nut Brown Ale kegged that just isn't clearing so by page 2 of this topic I decided to give gelatin a go (well Gelatine as the UK/Aus spelling goes, sorry autocorrection takes over and adds the 'e').

Boiled the water but got distracted before adding the gelatine and ended up with cold water. I remember Don Osborne did a video once where he put it into cold water then heated it in the microwave so...

1. Added the gelatine to the cold water and let it bloom for 20mins.
2. Put it in the microwave for 15 sec bursts on high (1050W microwave), stirring after each. After the 7th burst was quite clear and now hotish to touch.
3. Added to the keg and let it take its course. Did not stir or shake.

I'll see what happens because right now that beer is like muddy water.

I note BM either bends or cuts off his dip tubes. Who else does this? Do you do it to all your kegs? Or who has the dedicated bright tanks and serving kegs system?

As another poster mentioned, I'll be pulling a short pour every day to avoid the blocked dip tube this time while I consider cutting off the ends of my dip tubes.

Cheers for the great info!

Back