Draw string grain bags

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mtdesh

Reaction score
Are draw string grain bags meant to be reused? I was ordering a kit from more beer.com they don't come with grain bags. The bags they sell are $5. It doesn't say if its more then one bag. Why are some grain bags so expensive, can you reuse them? I would think it would make more sense to buy some cheap ones in bill

Mtdesh said:
Are draw string grain bags meant to be reused? I was ordering a kit from more beer.com they don't come with grain bags. The bags they sell are $5. It doesn't say if its more then one bag. Why are some grain bags so expensive, can you reuse them? I would think it would make more sense to buy some cheap ones in bill

Bulk

I empty rinse soak in PBW for a week or until white again. Rinse wring out hang to dry,store. I have some I've been using for 2 years now that look clean as new. Some say,there cheap,I just pitch'em & by new ones. That kind of thinking adds up after a year of just pitching them. Lazy can be expensive.

another option, when you make your order from morebeer, search for "muslin". You'll see muslin socks/bags for like .75 cents.

that's what I always use, and just toss 'em.

I like the nylon hops bags. They make em big enough for grains too. Just wash em and save em. Nylon seems to hold up better and no grain escapes.

For one muslin grain bag at $1.50 & hop socks at 75c each using three in the average brew,that's $3.75 per batch just getting pitched into the trash. Times 25 batches per year (2 per month) equals $93.75 getting tossed in the trash. That can be 3 5G partial mash kits plus a little. Or a bigger brew kettle. be frugel not lazy folks.

Reuse them. I use paint strainer bags or bags sewn from voile. The hops stain the bag, the grains not so much. Staining is not a sanitary problem.

I rise off any residue then turn it inside-out and repeat until almost all the little bits are gone. Almost impossible to get every last grain fragment, but two or three bits have not hurt anything. Squish them in a sanitizing solution. Hang out to dry like DW's nylons. Just before using, rinse and pass through sanitizing solution.

Note on sour beer: another thread suggested separating the plastic equipment used for sour beer from that used for regular beer. The reasoning from experience is the bacteria necessary for sour beer hang around in the scratches of plastic fermenters and the weave of plastic bags.

Latest posts

Back