Wet shaving thread.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brushes - been looking for a new one. I bought a relatively cheap brush; mix of badger and boar and I find it a little 'sharp' on my face.

Does anyone rate Edwin Jagger brushes? I've just found out they're based about 2 miles away from where I live in rainy, dark, windy, cold Sheffield.

Also, what grades do people use? I assume mine is from the scrotum hair of a hundred year old badger and boar.

Fast Andy;

"Boker straights

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone here have experience with a Boker razor? I've been looking at this one for sometime now.

http://www.straightrazordesigns.com/boker-straight-razors/professionally-sharpened-boker-edelweiss-5-8"

It looks good to me. I like the fact that it is NOT a stainless blade. I have a stainless DOVO that I use a lot less than my vintage Pearl King (made in the 40's or 50's and still going strong). Stainless is harder to sharpen in my opinion and the silver mix on the Boker sounds like it might be easier to get a proper edge for shaving.

Hope the above helps you out.

bosco

Does anyone here have any experience with any of the shavettes? I'd like to get into using a straight but would like to give it a try before I make the investment in a good razor, strop, and hones. I looked over at B&B a little and found differing opinions. Some say they are horribly unforgiving and others say they are fine. I've seen barbers use them so they must be okay.

Just wondering what the consensus here was. Thanks.

Shavettes are a good way to start.
They are sharp, need no skills such as honing and stropping and are not expensive.

There are lots of blades out there to use and some are sharper than others from what I've seen. Feather razors (Japanese) are wicked sharp and I don't think good as a starter razor.

Beard preparation is important with any type of bare blade razor and there will be nicks along the learning curve.

Soft beard, good lather and a few drops of something like Shave Secret will give you a great shave.
Watch a few youtube videos and take it slow. A styptic pencil is very handy to have, especially in the beginning.

I use a razor that's older than me (and that's old) and have been using it for more than 40 years.

I don't think it is as sharp as the Shavettes but it is as sharp as any razor the barbers ever used before the Shavettes were available.
It does need stropping before and after each shave and after several shaves it needs a touch up with a hone (I use an 8,000 grit water stone with a good slurry) to bring it back to a shaving edge.

Start with the Shavette and see how it goes.

Good luck and go slow.

bosco

Thanks Bosco. I have a couple DE razors that I have been getting good results with so maybe I will try adding the shavette to my rotation.

Personally, I dislike shavettes. I find that they tug and nick a lot and give a generally unpleasant shave. SE razors are so good because, by their nature, they're slightly less sharp and aggressive than a DE blade in that setup.

+1 on the razor older than me, but I'm only 23! The razor, however, predates WWII, and I love it!

I should add that I use a safety razor not a straight. No money to really get into straights!

Fast Andy;

"Boker straights

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone here have experience with a Boker razor? I've been looking at this one for sometime now.

http://www.straightrazordesigns.com/boker-straight-razors/professionally-sharpened-boker-edelweiss-5-8"

It looks good to me. I like the fact that it is NOT a stainless blade. I have a stainless DOVO that I use a lot less than my vintage Pearl King (made in the 40's or 50's and still going strong). Stainless is harder to sharpen in my opinion and the silver mix on the Boker sounds like it might be easier to get a proper edge for shaving.

Hope the above helps you out.

bosco

Cool, thanks Bosco. I didnt even think about the blade material having an effect on honing.

Cheers

Shaved with the Fat Boy on level 2 with the same Super Max SS blade as before. Damn! This shave was even better than the first. Three passes and ~99% BBS.

I love this razor.

I just got into wet shaving, so total noob here.

Equipment I am set. Lather, not an issue.

My issue is that I think I am doing something wrong. I watched the YouTube video series and I keep hearing that they get a close shave without going against the grain. I can't get there. It seems the first pass cuts it down, but all the following don't. Even when I change the direction.

Anyone else struggle with this?

I used doing a single pass with one of those four blades razor. One pass against the grain and I'm clean.

So, it isn't so much that we don't go against the grain, it's how we do it. In general, I do 2 passes with the grain, 1 across the grain in both directions, then once against. By that time you're just cleaning up and should be pretty happy with the shave!

Make sure you pay close attention to blade angle too. If you lift the handle too high you will be riding on the top of the razor and if you hold the handle too close to your face, the safety bar will be the only part touching. You need to find the perfect middle ground to get the best performance. That will improve with your technique as you learn.

Barnstormer said:
Make sure you pay close attention to blade angle too. If you lift the handle too high you will be riding on the top of the razor and if you hold the handle too close to your face, the safety bar will be the only part touching. You need to find the perfect middle ground to get the best performance. That will improve with your technique as you learn.

I will need to try to play with the angle more than.

Pappers_ said:
Two passes for me too. Don't shave under the nose or chin (goatee). On the neck go up, then down. On my face, both strokes are down.

Two down strokes on the face and you get a clean shave?

Woop - I'm going to Edwin-Jagger factory tomorrow to look at a new brush! Although I'm not allowed in the production area for insurance reasons....

Shooter said:
I suspect it's really to prevent you from observing the secrets of brush manufacuturing...and the Oompa Loompas.

Ha, I'll look out for short orange people.

UK is a bit safety conscious so it doesn't surprise me. I don't think there are any secrets as to how the brush is made.

Once I had all the right equipment, the multi-pass was the biggest game changer for me.

I have very sensitive skin & couldn't use the cartridge as a result. I found the BIC disposable as my only solution. To think I used that POS for 20+ years. I didn't know there was something better out there. Once I saw this thread & was told there was a better way, my shaves have improved 100%. My skin improved 100%. My ingrown hair, irritation, razor burn has been eliminated.

A BIC blade came in my sample pack.................... and it was garbage! The Feather blade works much better for me. But YMMV of course.

Thank you for turning me onto B&B and the Mantic videos too! ;)

I shave my entire head and all but my chin and lip. I quit counting passes a LONG time ago! Put some music on, lather up and enjoy it!

Scrape scrape scrape... Feel it, pull the skin tight, scrape scrape.... Feel it!

Long as you have the razor sharp and at the right angle.... 1,000 passes won't hurt anything!

Well I just got back from Edwin Jagger, had a really nice time; excellent customer service and very friendly. Surprising they're a tiny operation (didn't even have a sign above the door).

Anyway, they had a couple of brushes out for me that I'd picked to choose between best and super hair to show the difference in grades (ended up with the super), they also sent me away with some Edwin Jagger product samples (pre-shave lotion, shaving soap and after shave).

Obviously couldn't wait to get home and try it all out and wow what a difference!

Previously it was cheapo bager&bristle brush (prickly), prorasso soap bowl and nivea after shave balm. Found I could only do this after a shower otherwise it'd pull a bit too much, however that combo usually worked pretty well.

Anwyway, did the warm cloth on face 30s trick, put the pre-shave lotion on (gorgeous menthol) and then shaved with a derby blade (3rd use) and wow, the brush was incredibly soft and the shave was really smooth. No tugging or pulling. Best shave I've had to date without a doubt and the after shave is so much better than the watery nivea stuff (that I've got a little left from my mach 3 days)

Usually use feather blades but I'm out and have more on order; can't wait for those to arrive. Will definitely be buying some EJ pre-shave and after shalve balms... although must admit I'd have saved myself a little by going online, the extra was worth the personal experience. I also took them a couple of beers (from the brewery I work at).

Sounds like an interesting trip! I would like to see the Simpsons factory or... Dovo. I saw Dovo on how its made but it would still be cool to see it in person. I didn't know they were drop forged. I thought they were just ground from flat stock. There is nothing wrong with either way of course...

Razor combs? I saw what looked like a straight razor set into a metal comb. Imagine a straight razor with comb teeth over it. Looked like it would be good for trimming sideburns.

The internet keeps telling me about DE razors guards with mention of using them on thick course hair like beards and sideburns. Not finding what I saw. So I said screw the internet. I'll ask the, umm... internet. But yeah. Yall ever see something like this?

Right now I trim by running a fine tooth comb into my sideburns and using scissors to cut off whatever sticks out.

Zuljin said:
Razor combs? I saw what looked like a straight razor set into a metal comb. Imagine a straight razor with comb teeth over it. Looked like it would be good for trimming sideburns.

The internet keeps telling me about DE razors guards with mention of using them on thick course hair like beards and sideburns. Not finding what I saw. So I said screw the internet. I'll ask the, umm... internet. But yeah. Yall ever see something like this?

Right now I trim by running a fine tooth comb into my sideburns and using scissors to cut off whatever sticks out.

Trimming sideburns? They are the top of the beard. Razors are for your head.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001G58BJU/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Ugh, tried shaving with a Derby blade the other day. Might has well tried shaving with a "sharpened" spoon. It tore my neck up!

No more of those stupid blades. I have a few other Super Max and 7 O'Clocks in my drawer, but I also just ordered a 100 pack of Astra SP blades for $9.59. :ban:

Back