3 weeks has come and gone, still no carbination....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silv3rbull3t

Reaction score
So my first brew is a failure unfortunatly......... :( well on a bright note i think i know what i did wrong. As far as carbination it tastes great, but there is no carbination. When i was priming the beer i added the sugar and water mixture then began to pour the beer from the priming bucket, nothing but white content came out so i poored it off to a waste bucket to the side (i belive this is because i didn't stir the primed brew). I also submerged my bottles in iodine and dumped iodine out, but i realize untill after bottling there was proubly about 1/4 of a ounce of iodine solution in the bottle when i was bottling the beer. Is there any possible way to save my brew, or should i just ditch it and start over on a brand new brew?

Mr. silv3rbull3t, I don't understand what you're talking about. I see a few different topics and you're all over the place! Give us one issue at a time please.

I guess wait and see is what I would to, if I understand you correctly. If you dumped most of the priming solution, the beer might not be carbonated, but the only way to know is to wait and see.

I have had this problem myself in the past. If you find the beer tastes good then all is well. If however, the brew smells funky and tastes bad, well then you might have to punt and give 'er another go. Try adding the priming sugar to the brew as you transfer from the carboy to the bottling bucket. This will give you a more even distribution of the priming sugar. As far as the Iodine goes you shouldn't really taste it in the brew.

NYBruGuy said:
I have had this problem myself in the past. If you find the beer tastes good then all is well. If however, the brew smells funky and tastes bad, well then you might have to punt and give 'er another go. Try adding the priming sugar to the brew as you transfer from the carboy to the bottling bucket. This will give you a more even distribution of the priming sugar. As far as the Iodine goes you shouldn't really taste it in the brew.

The beer taste's fine...........

The problem is theres no carbination. I added the priming sugar to the bottling bucket as i transfered the beer, however i didn't stir everything up

Is there anyway to save the brew? (add carbination)

Not to be an a$$hole...car·bon·a·tion /ˌkɑrbəˈneɪʃən/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[kahr-buh-ney-shuhn]
–noun 1. saturation with carbon dioxide, as in making soda water....or beer

single.barrel said:
...Not to be an a$$hole...car·bon·a·tion...
Then don't be...if'n you can't answer the ???'s keep the sarcasm to yourself....or do as I say not as I do...;)

silv3rbull3t said:
The beer taste's fine...........

The problem is theres no carbination. I added the priming sugar to the bottling bucket as i transfered the beer, however i didn't stir everything up

Is there anyway to save the brew? (add carbination)
If you added priming sugar to water and then added to the bottling bucket without mixing it well...you run the risk of having bottles with too much carbonation and some with too little.

What temp have you been storing the bottles at? I found that unless they were at 70 degrees plus..nothing happened.

did you actually POUR beer out of the bucket into bottles? or did you use a bottling bucket with a spigot, and a bottling wand with tubing attached?

malkore said:
did you actually POUR beer out of the bucket into bottles? or did you use a bottling bucket with a spigot, and a bottling wand with tubing attached?

Yes, and the beer has been stored in a 70 degree + area

Just add a bit more priming sugar to each bottle. A lot of the older brewing books recommended adding a teaspoon of sugar to each bottle. This is a bit on the inaccurate side and could lead to infection so you might wanna get some priming tabs from a brew supply store. What you do is open up the bottles, add the priming tabs, and recap (hopefully using new caps). You wanna play it by ear though, since it seems to me the sugar was unevenly distributed and some of it was thrown out, some of the bottles might already have enough sugar. If you hear a load hissing noise while opening it's probably carbed well enough and you don't wanna risk adding sugar else you can make bottle bombs. With all of them I'd add sugar on the low side because you don't know how much sugar actually made it in each batch. The muntons tabs you can throw around 3 per a bottle and it will carb on the low side. I noticed you said "nothing but white stuff" came out the siphon. If that was the sugar it means you probably did not dissolve the sugar well enough when you boiled it. Generally you want the sugar to be completely dissolved in the water before adding it to the beer. A good rule of thumb is to add the sugar water to the bottom of the bottling bucket and than siphon from secondary fermentor to the bucket, and than give it a gentle stir with a sanitized spoon (you don't wanna over stir since this can cause oxidation).

I don't think it is from your not stirring. Everything I've read (or most of it any way) has said not to stir so as to not add oxygen to the beer. What I've been doing with no problem is add my priming sugar after boiling to the bottling bucket and then rack into the bucket. I leave my racking hose coiled at the bottom of the bottling bucket so that the beer swirls in with the prime. Then I go in once a week and gently shake the bottles to keep the yeast in suspension. So far so good.

What yeast did you use? Some yeasts are so flocculant that you get hardly any yeast into the bottled. Thus no carbonation.

Does it still taste sweet?

Kai

Latest posts

Back