Crush white grapes or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobertRGeorge

Reaction score
I got 25 pounds of mixed reisling and chardonnay grapes from my friend today. We live in BC so I expect to chaptalize and ameliorate them into proper Brix and acid.

My question is, would it be better to crush and soak them on the skins for a while and if so how long, or just press them as whole bunches?

Thanks for your thoughts!

RobertRGeorge said:
I got 25 pounds of mixed reisling and chardonnay grapes from my friend today. We live in BC so I expect to chaptalize and ameliorate them into proper Brix and acid.

My question is, would it be better to crush and soak them on the skins for a while and if so how long, or just press them as whole bunches?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Crush and keep on the skin anywhere from a few hours to 48 hours max.

http://www.winebook.webs.com

" White wine is made differently than red wine. First the grapes are crushed and pressed immediately to separate the juice from the solids. After pressing, the skins, stems and seeds are discarded, and the juice is cooled to a low temperature. Then the cold juice is allowed to settle for several hours, and the clear juice is decanted off the residue before it is fermented. White wines are made by fermenting clarified juice. These are the fundamental differences between making quality, red wine and white wine."

I leave mine crushed with skins for around 16hrs. Me and the kids will climb in and smash em up good with our feet and hands. 50pm sulfite immediately following the crush. I believe it gives my white wine more "character".

Thanks for the points. I read also that chardonnay is very mild and can benefit from some time on the skins. I used my hands to mush them, then pressed them, then removed about 2/3 of the stems, put the juice and skins in a bucket, added 1/8 tsp meta, covered the mush with tin foil, put the lid on the bucket and put the bucket in the refrigerator. I'll press them early Monday.

Speaking of mashing by feet, I have read that studies of Italian wine showed that wine made with grapes crushed by people with athlete's foot is noticeably superior. Gives new meaning to "terroir" I guess.

Thanks for the points. I read also that chardonnay is very mild and can benefit from some time on the skins. I used my hands to mush them, then pressed them, then removed about 2/3 of the stems, put the juice and skins in a bucket, added 1/8 tsp meta, covered the mush with tin foil, put the lid on the bucket and put the bucket in the refrigerator. I'll press them early Monday.

Speaking of mashing by feet, I have read that studies of Italian wine showed that wine made with grapes crushed by people with athlete's foot is noticeably superior. Gives new meaning to "terroir" I guess.

I hadn't heard that about the athlete's foot and truth be known would rather not know that actually occurs by choice. YUK. On the contrary we do clean and scrub very well before entering the vats but young kids can really only be so clean for so long.

I pressed out 2 gallons of juice last night and will decant off the sludge after leaving it to sit in the fridge overnight. 15 Brix, .75% acid. I will add 200 g sugar to bring the brix up to 20 and recheck the acid.

Back