Low efficiency, water report data

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

techprof

Reaction score
I have been trying to nail down the cause of low efficiency for AG brewing. I have taken notes for all of my brews thus far and mash temps and batch sparge steps have been solid. I may just start using bottled water, but I am including my water report. Any ideas? I can't make sense of it.

water.jpg

I can barely read most of that, but it doesn't look like you have all the info there you need. There is a great water primer thread in the brew science forum.

I don't see anything on hardness or alkalinity in the report but the scan is hard to read. If you think you're having water issues, you could try bottled spring water for the next batch to confirm that your water is indeed the problem. There could be other process issues like water volumes, mlt/kettle loss, crush, etc that are more likely to contribute to low efficiency though.

Strangely enough my all grain brew today was the first batch (6th AG total) that all my numbers were good as far as preboil OG is concerned. The previous AG recipes were either ambers, pales or Belgian.

And the beer style today was a robust porter, 81% eff. with the mash ph at room temp showing 5.5 . Since I have hard water my lighter beer styles are getting low og due to high ph. Most likely will switch to bottled water when brewing a lighter style. Thanks for the input and please excuse any text irregularities due to typing this on my phone.

Back