Aging Stouts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrMeans

Reaction score
So I have a stout that I brewed in july that I have a few questions about. When I brewed this, it was a roasty, malty delicious monster. I put a few bottles away to age for a competition and the results were not favorable. The beer went way out of balance. The malty notes faded out and my bittering hops (magnum) came to the forefront of the flavor profile. Is this normal for an aged stout. I was always under the impression that it would go the other way around.

All assertive flavors will mellow, but individual flavors will mellow at different rates.

I would expect that malt flavors mellow the quickest, and hop bitterness mellows the slowest.

Back in the late spring I brewed a Brewers Best Cream ale kit, and added a handfull of fresh sage leaves from my garden for the last three days in the fermenter. Four weeks in fermenter, three weeks in the bottle and 3 days in the fridge. Week 1: sage an hops flavors really complimented each other, good beer. Week 3: Sage really came forward. Still quite drinkable, but not what I intended. Week 5: Yummy! Hops and sage balanced, malt complex. If I gave you one and didn't tell you it had sage you couldn't identify it, but when told you could place it right out. I ran out of that batch that week. Also, that was my last extract kit. All-grain forever.
Scotia Go Bragh! Mack.

It finished right around 1.070 and I used wlp001. Its just a lesson learned. If you expect a high score don't use an aged stout, use a fresh one.

Back