Will Mead "skunk" in clear bottles like beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ckarsanac

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I want to bottle into 7oz bottles, but they are clear. Will UV light affect it like beer? I'm not talking hours and hours, just the occasional sun for transport or to show people. Thanks!

I believe I read that beer skunking is a result of UV and hops. As long as your mead is hop free you should have nothing to worry about.

It won't skunk, as the skunky flavor comes from the reactions of hops oils and light. But it will get "light struck"- damaged by light. The taste changes, the color changes, etc. That's why good wines are bottled in colored (green or brown) bottles, and wine/mead is cellared in a cool dark place.

If you're keeping it cool and dark, you can store it in clear bottles if you like.

Lightstrike causes sulfur odors in wines (and presumably meads) so you can get something that smells "skunky" if it is in a clear bottle and exposed to UV light.

Skunk is a unique chemical that is present in skunks and UV-converted isomerized alpha acids in beer. Sunlight will damage mead, but it won't skunk it.

Back