Dry hopping question - temps & time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewer3401

Reaction score
I usually ferment ales at 66 F for 12 days, then raise the temp to 74 F for 2 days for a diacetyl rest.

Dry hopping an APA soon.

Q - any suggestions on if I should lower the temp back to 66 F for 5-7 days of dry hopping ?

Also, what are the general guidelines for how many days to dry hop.

I'm doing 1 oz Centennial in 6 gallons.

Thanks

you're the first person i've come across to say they do a diacetyl rest for an ale. i only thought diacetyl was created in lagers. i've never had a butterscotch problem in about 70 ales i've made. what difference do you notice when you raise the temp every time?

i don't have fermentation temp control to have the luxury of going from 66 to 74 (my brewbasement is always about 70 degrees) but i'd say that the warmer temp would accommodate the dryhopping better since the lower temperatures are used to keep esters in check.

you're the first person i've come across to say they do a diacetyl rest for an ale. i only thought diacetyl was created in lagers. i've never had a butterscotch problem in about 70 ales i've made. what difference do you notice when you raise the temp every time?

Really ?

You don't know anyone that does a rest when brewing ales ?

I always do - and for lagers also (which is much more necessary)

I dryhopped for 10 days at room temp and at one point it jumped up close to 80. Beer was very tasty. I went to friends house for an IPA tasting and mine received high marks and was favorite out of all commercial examples that we tried.

After 2 weeks in the fridge hop aroma got reduced significantly.

At warmer temperatures, I dry hop for 3-7 days, most often 3-5 days. But if I can't get a chance to keg I've gone as long as 7-10 days. My preference is up to 5 days at over 70 degrees though.

I dryhopped for 10 days at room temp and at one point it jumped up close to 80. Beer was very tasty. I went to friends house for an IPA tasting and mine received high marks and was favorite out of all commercial examples that we tried.

After 2 weeks in the fridge hop aroma got reduced significantly.

Did you taste the beer when it was room temp ?

Just the cold will slow molecules and reduce flavors and aromas.

I think that's why you see a lot of recommendations on drinking beer at warmer than ice cold temps.

But, you have to drink BMC ice cold - cuz they suck when they get over 40 F

Depends on the style...for the IIPA's 2-3 weeks of dry hopping is my norm. Regular beers 5-10 days.

Did you taste the beer when it was room temp ?

Just the cold will slow molecules and reduce flavors and aromas.

I think that's why you see a lot of recommendations on drinking beer at warmer than ice cold temps.

But, you have to drink BMC ice cold - cuz they suck when they get over 40 F

I actually measured temp in the kegerator (with digital and analog) and my temp was ~50 and the beer tasted delicious. I've adjusted it to 42-44F and it still tastes better. When I was calibrating the temp and it went down as low as 36. At that time was completely different and I actually suggested my beer be warmed up at the tasting.

I always use a secondary to dry hop and always go 14 days. I use to wait two days after moving to secondary (12 days) but now transfer onto the dry hop to avoid excess CO2 release from the hops in the secondary and the potential for a blow off in the secondary. It works well for me........and until I can get a second frig to cold crash in I will use a secondary....I think the end product is better.:off:

i don't have fermentation temp control to have the luxury of going from 66 to 74 (my brewbasement is always about 70 degrees) but i'd say that the warmer temp would accommodate the dryhopping better since the lower temperatures are used to keep esters in check.

Just a thought:

Modern Ale Fermentation

Today modern ale fermentation typically uses vertical cylindrodroconical fermenters achieving similar flavor profiles compared to traditional fermentation systems. Typically, the yeast is pitched between 15 and 22°C, and the temperature is allowed to rise gently to 18 to 25°C, depending on the yeast strain (7). At the end of fermentation a diacetyl rest may be incorporated, although some popular ales (e.g., Irish stouts) have a perceptible diacetyl character that is are part of the flavor profile. Once fermentation is complete, the contents are cooled to about 4°C to settle the yeast in the cone of the fermenter. The settling time is dependent on the flocculation characteristics of the yeast. Typically, brewers will wait for an additional 24 hours for the yeast to further settle before cropping. Changes in yeast handling are required since collecting yeast off the surface is no longer possible.

Latest posts

Back