Living the dream!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freezestat

Reaction score
So I am at work today counting the minutes til I can get home to try my first brew ever, Autumn Amber Ale. Walked in the door and ran to the basement. Have the beer kegged and hit it for the last two days with 30psi CO2. Released the pressure and reset the pressure for 5psi. Grabbed a glass and ....... Sweet Jesus, I have beer! Tasts great. Sitting in the living room with my old man putting small dent in it. Thank you to all that have answered my questions. Great hobby. On deck is a Gold Lager and have a stout in the hole. Have a great 4th everyone.

Well I am about 4 hours in and am having a hard time typing. I am loving this! What I would love is a great, light, summer brew. I am looing for a alochol level in the 5.5 to 7% range. Any suggestions?

As for a medium-bodied beer, fun to drink in summer, I like a tasty kolsch. Never brewed one, though... but they have a fun flavor.

I did make a shandy (wheat & lemon) for the summer, but I used too much lemon flavor and it ended up tasting a little sour. Still, by the pool on my vacation it was super refreshing. :)

That shandy idea reminds me of a classic college drink my roommate used to make. I think the addition of the wheat beer would lend a nice flavor to his concoction.

He called it "Hop, Skip, and Get Naked." It was basically, beer, lemonade, and vodka. Surprisingly it was intoxicating. It doesn't taste as bad as it reads though.

I'm thinking it is an Indiana thing, as I have several other friends who made this same basic shandy.

Hey, Freezestat...

Greetings from down the road a bit in Marengo!

You brewed the very same first brew...that Autumn Amber Ale is sooooo good! SWMBO had one of the LAST six-pack last night with dinner, and gave me a taste. Better six months later, if you can keep some that long! Enjoy the addiction!

glenn514:mug:

I'm thinking it is an Indiana thing, as I have several other friends who made this same basic shandy.

The first shandy I ever had was a Leinenkugel's, so it came from Wisconsin... the actual beer, that is.

If you search the net for "shandy", you'll see it goes back to Mother Europa, with multiple variations in multiple countries.

The French call it "panache"... awesome. :rockin:

He called it "Hop, Skip, and Get Naked." It was basically, beer, lemonade, and vodka. Surprisingly it was intoxicating. It doesn't taste as bad as it reads though.

My buddy use to make that in college... he called it "Elmer Fudpucker". Also ran into a group at a BBQ contest that made it. They called theirs "Pink Pantie Pull Downs" Good stuff!

Back