Indie Hops puts new plant to work

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david_42

Reaction score
The plant has already proved that it can make hop pellets at 110 degrees and less -- 20 or 30 degrees cooler than current methods. The lower temperatures better preserve the delicate hop oils and aromas that craft brewers prize.
"We want to change the form of the hops, not the characteristics," Solberg said. "We took some pellets down to Stone Brewing recently (the San Diego craft brewer famous for Arrogant Bastard and other hoppy beers) and the brewers were comparing our pellets to a competitor's ... and, without any prompting, they said, 'These are so much more like whole hops.' "

Way too long to paste, but here's the link.

I read this same article and was somewhat intrigued. When are these hops going to be available to the public? Seems like they would be great for some of the people struggling with their crops in the southern states. I wonder how they taste? Bridgeport will be using them in their next batch of "Hop Czar" and Block 15 Brewery in Cornvallis was the first commercial brewery to use them....This farm is only 10 miles from where I sleep by the way. Maybe I will cruise down there and have a chat with them

Not heard of them, but interesting when you dig into the website you can find the contract pricing up to 2011-12 hops which stay the same as current pricing.

bump^^^ anyone else heard of these hops?

Indie Hop is a joint venture involving Coleman Farms from Gervais/St Paul Or, Goschie farms in Mt. Angel Or. and some fancy lawyer from So. Cal. Unless they start buying Hops from other growers, thier inventory will be quite small.
That's as far as I will comment on them...

Back