My little "helper"...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carbon111

Reaction score
My cat, Tali was always underfoot while I was brewing until I figured out that as long as she had a comfy place to sit and watch me brew, she'd leave me alone.

brew_helper.jpg

Cute shot! I have several "helpers" on brewday, a bunch of hummingbirds.

My brewing is done in the backyard, where we've got three feeders up. The entire time I'm out there, the hummingbirds angrily strafe me, nattering their bird obscenities. Little ingrates.

I have to put up a barricade between the living room and kitchen when I'm transferring wort, racking or bottling. Otherwise my dog tries to stick his nose in it and try to steal a sample.

I'm waiting for the second pic, where kitteh jumps up onto the cutting board to peer into the wort.

She actually stays put as long as she is comfy. Here she is in my studio:

I can jam with my friends unmolested as long as she gets to bogart the comfy chair:

papasan.jpg

Off topic but... Carbon111, is your avitar Zaphod Beeblebrox? I read the Hitchiker Guide books when I was a kid and that just poped into my mind.

Yes! From the BBC mini series in the 1980s.

Very funny stuff! :D

It's weird but jkarp's avatar up above is also from HGTTG. :)

Don't know if she's more interested in the mash I always spill on the floor or the pizza in the oven? :p

BrewDay080921-4.jpg

Oh, and that's a decoction resting on the stove.
I promise that I unwrapped it before going to a boil. :D

'Helper' no. 1 (see hood)

P5220002.JPG

Though she usually stays in her cage durring brewseasons.

Helper no. 2

profilepic33485_1.gif

He just sits and stares, unfortunitly he can't have any grains so no beer for him. But he gets a good wif(sp?) of it at times

For all you dog owners... I have heard that hops are poisonous to dogs, or its a severe allergen. I don't have any info to back this up but I would look into it. They talked about it on Basic Brewing Radio.

Sean

I have also heard this. I am sure it has been addressed before, but I guess hops can cause something called Malignant Hyperthermia in dogs. The dogs body will over-heat uncontrollably and could be fatal. From what I can find online, it is a rarer problem but still something to avoid.

Here is a website if you want to read about it-http://www.fallbright.com/HopToxicity.htm.

If I remember correctly (and there is a sticky for this topic) that it is only poisioness in the raw form. Once the hops are cooked into the wort they cease to be fatal.

But then again, I could be wrong. It's happened before.

Hops are still harmful to dogs after boiling, and they are much more likely to eat them if they are saturated in sweet wort. Keep hops away from dogs.

Back