Chest Freezer/Keezer help -- hinges

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riored4v

Reaction score
I kinda put in an offer on this chest freezer and now that I look at it, i'm not sure if its one i should pursue. I offered the lady $70 for it, and for the size being 15.1cu ft, it seemed like a good deal.

I want to convert it to a keezer, but I noticed the hinges aren't on the outside like most everyone elses. Along with that, it has wires running up to the lid.. which i'm not sure what those would be for.

Any advise with this one? Should i still try to pick it up?

Picasa Web Albums - Kristi - freezer

Well the pwr lines running to the lid are probably for a light, no biggie. The hinges, well they do seem like a problem, I am sure you could figure something out. However If you plan on using a tower then you really dont have to add a collar. 15 cubic ft is big enough to house quite a bit of kegs without having to add a collar to make use of the hump. The only other reason to add a collar is to add shanks to the collar.

Take the hinges out and replace them with some heavy duty fence hinges from the Home Despot.

Well the pwr lines running to the lid are probably for a light, no biggie. The hinges, well they do seem like a problem, I am sure you could figure something out. However If you plan on using a tower then you really dont have to add a collar. 15 cubic ft is big enough to house quite a bit of kegs without having to add a collar to make use of the hump. The only other reason to add a collar is to add shanks to the collar.

I wasnt sure if it would be deep enough inside to hold the kegs w/o a collar. I dont mind adding towers, although i also like the look of taps on the collar. It's kinda up to my dad since this would be a birthday present for him.

Take the hinges out and replace them with some heavy duty fence hinges from the Home Despot.

How would I get them out? They appear sealed into the unit? Or just cut them off from the lid and then drill some new hinges onto the lid & collar? i'm guessing the fence hinges would be strong enough to hold the lid up?

$70 buck is steal for a freezer in that nice of condition, of that size, IMO.

If nothing else jump on the bad boy and use it for a fermenter box.

thanks for the comments guys. i'll try to figure out how to remove the other hinges, if not then i'll probably just cut them out, although i'd prefer to not do that.

a fermenting box is on the list as well.

guess i'll move forward on this one and pick it up. its definitely to good of a deal to pass up and i'm really wanting to try my hand at kegging.

thanks for the comments guys. i'll try to figure out how to remove the other hinges, if not then i'll probably just cut them out, although i'd prefer to not do that.

The hinges look like they're not able to be removed, but they are. There should be several bolts on the rear of the freezer. Unbolt them and the hinge will slide out. They look like hooks.

The hinges look like they're not able to be removed, but they are. There should be several bolts on the rear of the freezer. Unbolt them and the hinge will slide out. They look like hooks.

perfect. thanks for the info.

I have the same freezer and the same problem. did you end up removing them? how did it work out?

didnt remove them. we ended up not using a collar and were able to find a plug on the back side that we were able to put the temp probe through.

I think i'm going to make it my fermentor and buy a new smaller one for a keezer...guess i need another ranco too...At least I'll be lagering for the foreseeable future :) SWMBO is going to love this :)

I just purchased the same freezer on Craig’s List for $50 a month ago - killer deal. Did anyone figure out how to remove the rods? I removed the bolts on the back and tried to pry the things out for a while with no luck. Not even sure what the hell the bolts are for. I decided to just order some heavy duty replacement hinges from a local repair shop for $28/pair. I’m planning to hacksaw off the lid tonight so I can get my color on the box.

I think i'm going to make it my fermentor and buy a new smaller one for a keezer...guess i need another ranco too...At least I'll be lagering for the foreseeable future :) SWMBO is going to love this :)

this is what i did and i have to say i love having a fermentor and a keezer.:mug:

Back