1 Gallon Batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nipsy3

Reaction score
I wanted to try out a few off the wall recipes without dedicating too much effort (in case they suck). I want to make 1 gallon batches from extract.

My question is, is it as simple as just dividing a typical 5 gallon recipe by 5?

What about yeast pitching? Typically, I use a White Labs vial with a starter. I doubt I need the starter. What portion of the vial would I use, if not the whole thing.

Thanks.

This is a marvelous way to experiment. If you have a brew partner who wants to, say, make a rosemary-kiwi mead, it's a good way to limit your committment. If it turns out great, you can always follow up with 5 gallons. Most parts of the recipe simply scale. Hops are one that do not - use just a bit more. For yeast, you can scale that down as well, but unless you're going to use that WL vial for something else, might as well use the whole thing.

Cheers,

Dos Locos

Just make the experiment along with a 5 gallon batch of something you like that will use the same yeast. Make a 2 pint starter and pour a little bit into the experiment, a few tablespoons, and save the rest for your 5 gallon batch.

I wanted to try out a few off the wall recipes without dedicating too much effort (in case they suck).
If effort is your primary concern, you're better off with at least a 3 gallon batch. 1 gallon batches are more work than 5 gallon ones, in my opinion.

Now if cost is your motivation, then yeah, do the 1 gallon batch!

If effort is your primary concern, you're better off with at least a 3 gallon batch. 1 gallon batches are more work than 5 gallon ones, in my opinion.

Now if cost is your motivation, then yeah, do the 1 gallon batch!

Actually, it's effort and cost.

The main reason I was only going to do a gallon is that I have some gallon sized wine jugs to ferment in. I didn't want to occupy my larger fermenters for a test batch. Why would 1 gallon be more of an effort than 5?

Actually, it's effort and cost.

The main reason I was only going to do a gallon is that I have some gallon sized wine jugs to ferment in. I didn't want to occupy my larger fermenters for a test batch. Why would 1 gallon be more of an effort than 5?
Siphoning is more difficult with a 1 gallon container, and everything you take out of it is proportionally more precious - even pulling out a hydrometer sample represents a significant amount of your end product, and racking even once will reduce your yield by like 10%.

I guess it's not so much that it's more work as that it isn't any less work.

Siphoning is more difficult with a 1 gallon container, and everything you take out of it is proportionally more precious - even pulling out a hydrometer sample represents a significant amount of your end product, and racking even once will reduce your yield by like 10%.

I guess it's not so much that it's more work as that it isn't any less work.

+1. also, if it turns out great, then you've got some to drink while the 5gal batch comes along :)

get a mini auto-siphon. it makes racking 1 gallon jugs alittle easier.

you can also get 2 and 3 gallon carboys to reduce the volume and price, but still end up with more than a 12-pack of finished beer.
I get a case a few bombers out of a 3 gallon batch, and that volume can be done indoors on my stove (a double win for freezing Nebraska winters...bad windchills)

Back