1st AG tomorrow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mot

Reaction score
Can someone with promash or another software run this for me?

I got this AG kit from midwest today and brewing sunday. I have a mac and tried qbrew, homebrew formulator and getting way different results

Recipe is Amarillo Pale Ale

10lbs Domestic 2 Row
.5lbs Carapils
.5lbs Caramel 60

.5oz Chinook @60
1oz amarillo @40
1oz amarillo @20

Safale us-05

Plan on batch sparging... 5 gallon batch

The recipe kit states the OG should be around 1.052 to 1.054 and FG to be around 1.014 to 1.011.

When I ran it through my two programs, I am getting OG around 1.060 to 1.070? And my IBU's are around 70? Thats seems way high I must be missing something but I can't figure it out.

Would appreciate it is someone would run this through promash or something
THis is my first time running through a program not sure if I am missing anything or not

mot said:
Can someone with promash or another software run this for me?

I got this AG kit from midwest today and brewing sunday. I have a mac and tried qbrew, homebrew formulator and getting way different results

Recipe is Amarillo Pale Ale

10lbs Domestic 2 Row
.5lbs Carapils
.5lbs Caramel 60

.5oz Chinook @60
1oz amarillo @40
1oz amarillo @20

Safale us-05

Plan on batch sparging... 5 gallon batch

The recipe kit states the OG should be around 1.052 to 1.054 and FG to be around 1.014 to 1.011.

When I ran it through my two programs, I am getting OG around 1.060 to 1.070? And my IBU's are around 70? Thats seems way high I must be missing something but I can't figure it out.

Would appreciate it is someone would run this through promash or something
THis is my first time running through a program not sure if I am missing anything or not
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BeerSmith
Beer test
American Amber Ale

Type: All Grain
Date: 3/15/2008
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Brewer: BillC
Boil Size: 6.50 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Bill's Brew System
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
10 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) US (3.0 SRM) Grain 90.91 %
8.0 oz Cara-pils (3.0 SRM) Grain 4.55 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 4.55 %
0.50 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (60 min) Hops 21.9 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (40 min) Hops 25.1 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (20 min) Hops 17.3 IBU
1 Pkgs SafAle S-05 (Fermentis #S-05) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.057 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.016 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.28 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.65 %
Bitterness: 64.3 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 8.3 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge Total Grain Weight: 11.00 lb
Sparge Water: 5.18 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F TunTemperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge Step Time Name Description Step Temp
75 min Mash In Add 13.75 qt of water at 161.4 F 150.0 F

thanks if anyone else has any different programs they want to run it through that would be cool to see the difference

anoldur said:
It will always depend on what you set your brewhouse efficiency at.
I will vary on efficiency but here is my Promash file at 75%.

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.00 Wort Size (Gal): 5.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 11.00
Anticipated OG: 1.059 Plato: 14.51
Anticipated SRM: 7.1
Anticipated IBU: 74.8
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Evaporation Rate: 15.00 Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 5.88 Gal
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.050 SG 12.43 Plato

Formulas Used
-------------

Brewhouse Efficiency and Predicted Gravity based on Method #1, Potential Used.
Final Gravity Calculation Based on Points.
Hard Value of Sucrose applied. Value for recipe: 46.2100 ppppg
Yield Type used in Gravity Prediction: Fine Grind Dry Basis.

Color Formula Used: Morey
Hop IBU Formula Used: Rager

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
90.9 10.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) America 1.036 2
4.5 0.50 lbs. Crystal 60L America 1.034 60
4.5 0.50 lbs. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt 1.033 2

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.50 oz. Chinook Whole 13.00 27.8 60 min.
1.00 oz. Amarillo Gold Whole 10.00 32.6 40 min.
1.00 oz. Amarillo Gold Whole 10.00 14.4 20 min.

Yeast
-----

I put in 150 F for the mash temp in post #2 as I did not see the mash temp you used at 153 F so that would change things a bit but that being said I have found that 150 works better for for my tastes in this type of beer and so that is what I suggest you use anyway. Notice that Promash is not that far off from BeerSmith and both programs are just using formulas to obtain the figures shown and your results will vary due to many factors such as grain brands, hop freshness, water solids etc. Experiance is the best teacher and these programs are tools we use to make it easier and more consistant.

cool thanks guys heating strike water right now....what kind of different mouth feel or tatse do you get form mashing at 150 vs something like 153 or 155

anoldur said:
It will always depend on what you set your brewhouse efficiency at.

yeah I put mine at 75 i doubt I will get that my first time but Maybe I will be lucky!!

everything looks fairly close to to what I ran through my programs my gravity was a little higher I will have to check my settings again

HAHA first dumb mishap of the day....I preheated my mash tun and then drained it started to dough in and then noticed my feet were getting wet forgot to shut off the valve!!!! StUPID.... I don't think ink I lost that much volume so were off again!

Enjoy! You will have a little more mouth feel with 153, than 150... 155 -158 would be pretty malty.

Everybody has an opinion on mouth feel and maltyness but you will find that 150 F is good for an ale and unless it is a dark one the sweetness should not be accentuated IMHO. It looks like you have gone at 150 F and I know you will like it.

WBC :mug:

mot said:
HAHA first dumb mishap of the day....I preheated my mash tun and then drained it started to dough in and then noticed my feet were getting wet forgot to shut off the valve!!!!

Ha, and it probably won't be the last one of the day! But persevere, and all will be well at the end of your brew-day.

Congrats on making the jump to AG. I had previously brewed hundreds of gallons of extract beer, but I think the most satisfying glass of my life was the first pour of my first AG batch!

Well I have to figure out my efficiency yet but everything went pretty good except I bought the wrong attachment a while back for my wort chiller. I hooked up the garden hose to the end and went to hook up the high temp hose on the other end and whoops both threaded ends!! I had to use it to cool that much wort down so I just held it in place while steaming hot water shot out the other end!! But wow that 50ft wort chiller took up from 215 to 60 degrees in about 15 to 20 minutes

I missed my volume by a little wanted 5 and I got around 4.5 to 4.75. I thought I was going to have more wort than I wanted so I boiled a little longer than an hour to try and get it down more to 5 gallons and I went a little to long after all the trub and what not ended up just shy of 5. Kind of screwed up my hoping schedule from that but I only boiled about 15 to 20 minutes longer.

My OG was 1.045 which is a little on the low end for what the recipe stated. Not sure why I got so low?
So how do I go about figuring my efficiency?

well I just double checked my hydrometer to with plain water and it was a little off water was showing around .0998 so That should bump me up a little bit more to around 1.047 or 48

mot said:
well I just double checked my hydrometer to with plain water and it was a little off water was showing around .0998 so That should bump me up a little bit more to around 1.047 or 48

.0998 might have been accurate. depending what was in the water and what the temp of the water is you'll see changes like that. Most hydrometers are calibrated to 60 F and pure water. I'm not exactly sure of this but assuming chlorine is less dense than water(and I'm pretty sure it is) a pretty small amount of chlorine in your water could change the reading. If the water was warmer than 60 it'll change your reading. The hydrometer is a great tool and usually most inaccuracies in it are negligible. I mainly use mine to know when my beers are fully fermented but it can also be used to figure things like brew house efficiency. the differences your talking about will probably never be noticeable in the finish product. RDWHAHB

Back