Cider help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nikonic

Reaction score
I made a cider back in November OG was 1.070 and today it's at 1.032
when i sampled 2 weeks ago it was at 1.034.

the recipe was plain apple juice, dextrose and champagne yeast.

what do you guys think? should I re-pitch? and if so, should i use the same yeast or can I throw in something more aggressive?

thanks.

That should ferment out much drier than that. How much yeast did you pitch? What is your fermentation temperature.
it was a package of the red star dry champagne yeast... said right on the package that it was good for cider.

.. this was a 5 gallon batch and fermentation temp is between 67-69

I've used that yeast before and it worked great, so it's not your choice in yeast that's the problem. Looks like your ferm temps are ok. Did you aerate the cider when pitching?

If it were me, I would repitch a different packet of the same yeast and add some yeast nutrient.

Good luck!

I did aerate using a drill attachment I have so I don't think that was the issue.. It might have been a bad package of yeast..

Don't pitch the SAME yeast. Pitch a different strain. Now that it's down to 1.034, throw some Nottingham in there and it'll likely perform better than more champagne yeast. It's very possible that more champagne yeast will perform the same as the champagne yeast that's already in there, i.e., not at all.

I had the same feeling..
The thing is that the air lock is still bubbling away and I can see it bubbling away inside the carboy producing CO2 ... and it has been the entire time.

I'm going try pitching Nottingham (if they have it at my LHBS) and update you guys.

Back