Must have beers in huston texas area

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nghtmre4u

Reaction score
I will be in Huston for ten days just wondering if there are any must have beers or local establishments to visit.

I agree, St. Arnold's is great! Karbach is another solid local brewery. You should see if their tours are ongoing during the holidays - awesome beer with cool souvenir glassware.

Also, a beer bar called "Hay Merchant" that I highly recommend.

In no particular order:
Saint Arnold's
Karbach
New Republic
Buffalo Bayou
City Acre (Brew Pub)

I third St. Arnold's. I just went there two days ago and it was awesome. The only thing is that they don't give you enough tokens to try all their beer :( Buffalo Bayou Brewing is also another good brewery to check out. Definitely have the Gingerbread Stout. Both brewery's give you a souvenir glass and in the case of Buffalo Bayou it's a full size tulip glass.

The best establishment to try is Petrol Station, get the Rancor Burger.

Skip St. Arnolds. Most of their beers are quite mainstream, and you wont get any of the good stuff on the tour. For breweries, hit Karbach, No Label, or Southern Star (though thats a tich of a drive, tours only on saturday.) For beer bars, The Flying Saucer is fine, but it is a chain so it's not particularly 'Houstony'. Instead, go to the Hay Merchant or better yet, the best bar in town, The Petrol Station, though the last is a bit off the beaten path its totally worth it.

Skip St. Arnolds. Most of their beers are quite mainstream, and you wont get any of the good stuff on the tour.

I beg to differ. I was there this past Saturday and they had Endeavor, Santo and Icon on tap for the tour. I don't know if that qualifies as 'the good stuff' for you, but I found it to be well worth the $7.

Endevour = middling DIPA, Santo = Kolsch. yes, its black. woo. Icon = Belgian IPA that is neither belgiany or IPA-ish. I stand by my skip it :)

Back