Bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So i just bottled my first batch last friday, and i was wondering how long it will be good bottled. I had it kegged for about 2 weeks, before i bottled it, just wondering how long i have to drink it before it becomes flat?

I assume that when you say that you had it kegged for 2 weeks you mean it the fermenter?? If not why are you then bottling?

As for going flat, unless the caps leak the beer will not go flat.

Depending on the style of beer the taste may mellow to the point of little taste. Lighter beers are best young, say a month to a few months of aging.

Bigger beers might not get to their optimum taste until a year or so and may take 2-3 years or longer before they pass their peak.

it was kegged at my buddies house, and i do not have room for a keg at my apartment. I had it kegged for two weeks after the fermenting process. As for the beer, it is an amber beer, so a little bit heavier.

I would say that you can enjoy this beer for the next few months at least.

I have only had a couple of batches so far that have lasted longer than 3 months from bottling day. They are my high gravity beers. They are still getting better.

You may already understand this, but inless you store it in sunlight or warm conditions it's not going to go 'bad' for a long time (like years, assuming when you bottled from the keg it was done in a way that prevented oxygenation). As mentioned previously, some styles are best young and some are best aged -- but going bad shouldn't be much of a concern.

Back