Crimper recommendations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iijakii

Reaction score
I see that Kal recommends solid $80 crimpers. Think the double ratcheting crimpers are worth it? Don't really see myself needing them again in the next 5 years.

I've never used a non-crappy crimper before, don't know what I may or may not be missing out on.

There's nothing wrong with the old standard wire stripper and crimper. They're cheap and your hands can handle a project or two.

pRS1-6980454w345.jpg

I use channelock crimpers. The are great. Any home depot has them. not cheap, but they are good. Klein makes another good crimper. These are what I use at work everyday

You can find a set of Klein ratcheting crimpers for about 45 bucks on Amazon. I bought a Channel Lock set, Channellock 958 with the 909 crimpers for under 30.00. I don't use them enough to justify a really expensive set. If I were doing that stuff for a living ... sure.

Just take your time with whatever you buy. You'll be fine.

No need for a ratcheting set, nice to have but not necessary. Especially in your case, if you think you may never use them again, or rarely. Try to stay away from the wire stripper/crimper combo, there ok for smaller gauge wire but not on 12 or better, and your hands will thank you. Once again, stick with a brand name, klein makes a very nice set(channellok, greenlee, vise-grip, etc.) This is one of the sets I have and it does a nice job.10 in. Crimper with ProTouch Grips-2078310 at The Home Depot

I must be the cheapest bastard on earth because whenever I've had to make some really large crimps, I smack the seam with a dull chisel and then squeeze it horizontally in a bench vise. Then again, I'm talking about larger terminals for like 4-6gauge.

For smaller gages, the hand tools are cheap enough but make sure you get somethign that puts the crescent shape profile in the crimp. The cheap combo tools tend to go with the oval or football shape and it's not as strong.

I've put together two panels, 10 to 22 awg wires, with the super cheapo crimpers with no issues at all... But I'm sure it'd be easier with the deluxe ratcheting ones.

I've never even considered buying an expensive crimper for doing anything 10ga or smaller. If you're not doing electrical work on regular basis an expensive crimper is a huge waste of money IMO. Heck, i've done a bunch of electrical projects and I've never thought to myself that I needed a better crimper. I don't know what brand/model I have, but it was probably $10-$15. It's a step up from the basic el cheapo stripper/cutter/crimper. I only upgraded because the stripper section of the el cheapo was terrible. It wasn't an issue with the crimper.

Back