Spa water heater elements - Who is using?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BargainFittings

Vendor / Owner
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
About $20 - $25 each on ebay.

Pros and cons?

Just curious if anyone is using this type of element.
I'm thinking of using two of them in a setup for testing purposes. Seems it would be easier to install these in a kettle (side mounted) and would keep out of the way of an immersion chiller. (with some bending)

Element is 5.5kw using 240v or 1.5kw if using 110v. Element is 10.5" long. Terminals are 1 1/4" apart.

element.jpg

I know I've seen someone on here using one, and I've been toying with possibly mounting one in the bottom of a BK. Interested to see who chimes in.

i would assume they should work. an element is an element, and im pretty sure ive seen atleast one build use somthing like that before. those are nice and compact...

It seems that this set up would be more cumbersome to install; two holes to seal, how to terminate the electrical connections?

I have this in my whirlpool tub..
4471.prd.s.000.jpg

I wonder how this would work as a RIMS/Side stream?

It's not that hard to drill a hole and thread a nut onto a hot water heater element.

That said, this could be a good alternative but I'd worry about it being food safe. You can drink water from the water heater but the makers of the spa element aren't anticipating anyone drinking spa water. I'm probably being paranoid I know...

It seems that this set up would be more cumbersome to install; two holes to seal, how to terminate the electrical connections?

I have this in my whirlpool tub..
4471.prd.s.000.jpg

I wonder how this would work as a RIMS/Side stream?

I just installed a Cartridge Style Immersion Heater that I won off ebay. So far it is working really good. I paid 20 bucks for it. It’s 5 inches long, 120V 800w

IT IS INCASED IN THE Copper pipe in the picture.

Close up.jpg

I always thought these would be good, with the housing they come with, for a RIMS build.

If I did it with these again, and I may, I would just put a box over the terminals, and also put a male 20-30A receptacle in the box, that way, it is protected, and has quick disconnect.. The box may require thought and fab work, but as far as sealing, I have not noticed a drop in 7-8 years... more than I can say for 1" water heater elements, mainly due to there not being a good supply of stainless 1" NPS half-couplers, the locknuts out there just not thick enough to resist distortion while welding, in my opinion..

I've got the elements. I have not yet install in a kettle. My initial idea of being able to bend them to fit on the side wall will not work out.

I use flat bottom kettles so installing them on the bottom is problematic.

Not sure if I'll use them or not.

I've got the elements. I have not yet install in a kettle. My initial idea of being able to bend them to fit on the side wall will not work out.

I use flat bottom kettles so installing them on the bottom is problematic.

Not sure if I'll use them or not.

How so? Just build a small "stand" for the bottom of the pot.

How so? Just build a small "stand" for the bottom of the pot.

I could and might still do that. I'm still thinking about it.
I finally converted a rubber coated keg to an EHLT with weldless fittings today and started playing with different options with the spa elements.

Think 4 times and drill once hopefully.

Back