Didnt put water in my airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Go ahead and add some. It probably didn't hurt at all to have it be dry for three days. The fermemtation will push CO2 out, preventing much oxygen from getting in and there aren't many bacteria I know of that can climb into an airlock! Things like fruit flies can be a nuisance though. When your pouring, just be careful not to spill any into the pipe. You can use cheap vodka too if you want for an extra measure of sanitation.

better late than never, though you may have missed out the best part. Pressure of the CO2 exiting would likely have made it UNLIKELY that anythinkg bad got into your brew.

Go ahead and add some. It probably didn't hurt at all to have it be dry for three days. The fermemtation will push CO2 out, preventing much oxygen from getting in and there aren't many bacteria I know of that can climb into an airlock! Things like fruit flies can be a nuisance though. When your pouring, just be careful not to spill any into the pipe. You can use cheap vodka too if you want for an extra measure of sanitation.

extra measure of Sanitation and evaporation

extra measure of Sanitation and evaporation

Ya, I would think so too, but my batches can make it for 4 weeks without a re-fill. Maybe the s-shaped airlock I use exposes less surface area. I don't think I've ever put vodka in 3-piece airlock. I normally only need to refill when I have a lager that goes 2+ months.

Ya, I would think so too, but my batches can make it for 4 weeks without a re-fill. Maybe the s-shaped airlock I use exposes less surface area. I don't think I've ever put vodka in 3-piece airlock. I normally only need to refill when I have a lager that goes 2+ months.

I used vodka in a 3-piece recently and had to refill it every week and a half until I bottled. It evaporated quick.

Like others have said just put it in now. Water is fine but StarSan or vodka would be better. Neither should evaporate before you are ready to bottle.

You might get a little evaporation but not enough to refill it. Just pour a little over the line...you don't always have to be at that level.

Back