Corn flakes for flaked maize ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewman !

Reaction score
My wife wants me to brew a Corona clone.

The recipe I found calls for flaked maize. I can't find any. Will corn flakes work ?

Thanks.

If you are talking about Kelloggs Corn Flakes...no. But if you are talking about actual pregelatinized corn flakes for brewing...yes.

Where does one get said brewing corn flakes ?

I can't find bulk corn, uncooked, or flaked maize anywhere. My LHBS doesn't have it.

How much does it call for? If it's relatively little, you might be able to get away with an equivalent amount of rice syrup or other very light fermentable.

Try tracking down some "all natural" corn flakes. Or cook some frozen corn or corn meal to mush. Corn has to be cooked a long time to get the starches dissolved. Plan on 60-90 minutes before adding it to the mash.

brewman ! said:
Where does one get said brewing corn flakes ?

I can't find bulk corn, uncooked, or flaked maize anywhere. My LHBS doesn't have it.

Here you go...Flaked Corn at .65 cents a 1/2 pound. Pre-gelatinized flakes, and ready to go.

I found some. Our local farm supply store (UFA) had 55 pound bags of either cracked corn or rolled corn. I took cracked corn because it was like ground barley for consistency.

$12.50 for 55 pounds. I've got enough cracked corn for 75 GALLONS of Corona.

I'll post pictures and results from brewing it later this weekend.

*laughs I needed 1.5 pounds.

Its in the fermentor now. I'll report how it turns out. I have pictures too, that I'll post tomorrow.

Pictures.

Here is a picture of the 55 pound bag of cracked as I bought it.
http://picasaweb.google.com/beermeister1/SteamMashing/photo#5035553350469266098

Here is a picture of the cracked corn beside crushed 2 row.
http://picasaweb.google.com/beermeister1/SteamMashing/photo#5035553354764233458

The corn was meant as livestock feed. There was the odd sunflower seed in the mix as well as a few pieces of corn stalk. This doesn't bother me. I grew up on a farm. I know what makes it into the hopper when harvesting barley.

Charlie Papazian says that "corn grist" will give a brew a strong corn flavor whereas flaked (rolled) corn gives it a mild flavor. If my brew is too corny, I'll sell the bag to a horse owner and buy a bag of rolled corn instead.

I racked the Corona clone from the primary tonight. Its been lagering in my cold garage for the last few weeks. Surprise, it tastes a lot like... Corona.

There is a subtle difference though. I think it has a bit more corn taste. I'm not sure, it just might need to age a bit more. I'll report back when we start drinking it.

Oh, if it does have too much corn taste, then I should have used rolled corn rather than cracked corn. According to Charlie Papazian.

Hey Brewman !

How'd it turnout? My wife loves Corona as well.

I have a question about the clear bottles Corona uses. How do they get away with that? I suppose the question is why, if Corona uses clear (and Miller, too) why do other big commercial brewers use brown? Or green?

Miller uses a hop extract that doesn't produce the skunky smell when exposed to UV light, so they can get away with clear glass. Corona, on the other hand, is pure skunk in a bottle if it hits sunlight... which it most likely has by the time you open it.

Hmm I wonder what a brew made out of various cereals is like.
Rice bubbles, corn flakes, various muesli brands with dried fruit, honey puffs, cocoa puffs, wheat bix, even fruit loops for some extra fermentable sugar.

It might make a great breakfast brew:D

they make organic cereals that don't contain all the preservatives found in those cereals. it might be possible with those. i've thought about it, but don't really want to spend the time making a beer that might be crap before i get really re-stocked :D

Yes, Buford, it tastes like a skunk but if you squeeze a lime wedge into the bottle it almost neutralizes the skunk smell. Well, maybe not. Wait, maybe if you squeeze in a tomato . . .

Back