Ever pitched trub into a primary ferment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heartofglass

Reaction score
Yeah it was amateur night and for our 2nd to none brew having pulled off a first batch that was quite tasty we cooked up some wort adding some dry malt and some liquid malt ext. as per weight, hopped it then, as we were working on a different batch that had undergone primary ferment we decided to throw in some of the bottom trub.
This was trub from a lambic yeast regular malt regular hop ferment aprox. 40 days old.
Yes we threw some of that trub into our new batch.

I asked myself why and asked my partner why and felt regrettable afterwards.

So now our primary ferment is 1 month and 1 week old and Im thinking about bottling.
However looking at it today I see that there is a thin veil of something that has grown or settled on the sides of our carb.
Im guessing infection but I couldnt be sure.
I guess Im wondering if anyone has a more or less educated guess as to what has happened and if theyre is a good way to find out if this stuff is worth bottling.
..name calling would be an acceptable comment if I've wasted your time.

thanks and have a better one
Hog
:ban:

I took a cup of trub from a primary ferment that was being moved to a secondary for fruit addition- (lambic yeast)
took some of its trub and pitched with yeast into wort for a different batch primary ferment. So yes added trub with yeast to a primary.

If you used trub from a freshly racked batch of beer I am sure you'll be fine. If you used trub that had been hanging out 40 days since you racked, i would suggest less beer consumption on brew day.

Sounds like a Brettanomyces pellicle to me. Isn't that what you intended when you pitched the lambic yeasts? If so, I would forget about it and leave it in the fermenter for a few more months.

Oh - and don't use your equipment for anything else but lambics from here on, brettanomyces are notorioulsy hard to kill.

Latest posts

Back