Low floc'ing yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damdaman

Reaction score
So I've had an Amber in primary for 15 days now. Airlock bubbling stopped after only 2 days. It's been at 1.018 for the past 4 days straight, which is about where I wanted it (was hoping for 1.016, but that's ok).

OG was 1.066 and I pitched two swollen smack-packs of 1272 American Ale II. Temps have been steady in the low 60's, dropping below 60 some nights.

When I look in the bucket or take hydrometer samples, there's still a ton of yeast gunk floating on the top, and the sample is cloudy as hell.

It seems like the beer is done fermenting (and has been for awhile), but the yeast won't drop! I've used 1272 before without this problem, although the only other time I've used this bucket for a primary I had low floc'ing yeast as well, but I can't imagine there's something about the bucket that would cause this?

Any suggestions on how to handle this? Just continue to wait it out?

Unfortunately I don't have a reliable way of doing that. I could probably get 5-10 degrees lower by putting it out in the garage, but I don't have a basement or a fridge that can hold the carboy.

I'm considering racking it off of whatever HAS settled, then putting it in the garage and seeing what happens.

It's weird because according to Wyeast, this should be a high-floc yeast.

Latest posts

Back