Adjusting gravity with DME - need some quick help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shag

Reaction score
I'm going to be brewing a DIPA tomorrow morning, and am trying to plan for pre-boil gravity adjustments, if needed. I've only done a couple AG batches, none this big (16.5lbs grain), and I don't really have a good grasp on my efficiency. So, trying to make sure I understand how to adjust, if needed.

I found a calculation for figuring out how much DME to add (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/adding-dme-boost-efficiency-158444/#post1828068), but I'm unclear on how and when to add it. Can I add it directly to the boil kettle? If so, when do I add it?

I also stumbled across a mention somewhere of this process having the potential to create a "watery" beer, if too much DME is added. Any truth to this? How much gravity is safe to adjust in this manner?

Any help would be most appreciated!

First welcome!

Second, add the DME at the beginning of your boil to make up for a lower efficiency than you planned for. This will keep your IBU calculations in your recipe calculation still the same.

Adding a few pounds of DME will certainly not harm your beer or make it watery. Some brewers use all extract or almost all extract and some steeping grains and still make great beer.

First welcome!

Second, add the DME at the beginning of your boil to make up for a lower efficiency than you planned for. This will keep your IBU calculations in your recipe calculation still the same.

Adding a few pounds of DME will certainly not harm your beer or make it watery. Some brewers use all extract or almost all extract and some steeping grains and still make great beer.

Ditto. I just did an almost all grain Stone Ruination clone. My mash tun does not hold the whole grain bill. I just made up the rest with DME. Worked like a champ.

Pre-boil wort will not be mixed after the lauter so you must really stir the wort very well before taking a sample, or let the wort come to a boil and do the mixing for you.

Once you take a sample you want to bring the temp of it below 100*F if using a temperature correction chart for any accuracy of your hydrometer.

Your thermometer and hydrometer should both be in the solution your testing to get an accurate reading

Back