First timer, Am I doing this right?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steelshooter

Reaction score
Hi all, I’ve been reading all of your posts for a while and I think I’m starting to get an idea how to brew a simple batch.

So here goes my first post.

I’ve started off with a Ponderosa Porter that came with the kit that I got for Christmas (something I asked for). I followed the directions (mostly) and watched as my airlock bubbled away. It’s been in the primary now for 5 days and the bubbling has slowed to the point where you might see a bubble every 10 minutes or so. I didn’t take a SG (stupid mistake number one) so I won’t know exactly when the primary is finished but here’s my thought and please correct me where ever you think I need it.

I was going to bottle my beer but have decided to go right to kegging instead. I’ve got 3 Cornelius kegs and another 4 on the way. I’ve got all the fittings, regulators, lines and a small chest freezer that I’m going to change out the thermostat on. I don’t have a beer tower yet and that is going to take about 4 to 6 weeks to get. I did get a cheap plastic facet for now. I’m looking at a triple but I have to work the money into the budget.

What I’m thinking is, can I just rack the porter from the primary to a keg sometime next week, put a little CO2 pressure on and then bleed some off the next day and charge again (to remove any O2) and then just set the keg aside to age? Also would it be OK to taste test the porter right after kegging ( I know it won’t be ready yet) just to make sure nothing has gone wrong up to this point? After all I don’t want to be aging contaminated beer.

I know that this seems as though I’m getting way a head of myself but I’ve always wanted to do this so I thought I might as well jump in with both feet.

In the spring we hope to have a get together we are calling Yeast Fest where we will have a selection of home brews, fresh breads and cheeses (to give the appearance of something high brow LOL). Really a chance to drink a few and soak in the hot tub.

The choices for Yeast Fest are:

A Porter, probably the Ponderosa…or your suggestions?
An IPA…suggestions please?
And an Oberon clone which has been requested…suggestions really needed here.

In short

HELP!!!

Sounds like your doing fine on your own.

Most people would go to secondary in between primary and kegging though. (Possibly with finnings) It'll give a better beer in the end.

I rack straight into kegs from primary. I just cut about 1in off the end of the liquid out dip tube.

I try the beer when I am racking into kegs, to see if it is good, then seal it up, purge, and call it good until ready to dispense.

Back