Cheap bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobWalker

Reaction score
Got 40 pints of cider to bottle in just over a week, what's a cheap solution that won't change the overall flavour? I don't mind if it costs a little if it's reusable. Or should I just leave it in the keg and bottle some?

Sterilizing the bottles (glass mind you) in the oven is about as cheap as it gets. You might be able to rent a capping machine at a hbs and caps aren't too costly either.

I save bottles from microbrews that I bought at the store, clean them out, and put homebrew in them. I've been saving bottles like this for months and now I have hundreds of bottles that I reuse - some have been recycled three or four times.

If you don't have enough bottles, maybe talk to a local bar and see if they will let you dig through their glass recycling bin. Or ask friends to save their bottles for you. I have some neighbors on my street who drink microbrews and they are more than willing to let me rummage through their glass bin the night before recycling day...as long as I let them try my homebrew when they come visit :)

most homebrew shops also do sell new bottles. think they are $12-$14 for a case...

i do what ReeseAllen does and save my bottle from micros

Check with you local beer distributor...I pay .10 a bottle. 2.40 a case can't beat it.

Holly Crap! $2.40/case. Wow.

The major distributor around here is $7.34/24 of long necks. That's almost $.31 each. I know of a couple commercial micro breweries around here that get them there, and that's the price they pay too. I am going to call around tomorrow and see what I can find.

Holly Crap! $2.40/case. Wow.

The major distributor around here is $7.34/24 of long necks. That's almost $.31 each. I know of a couple commercial micro breweries around here that get them there, and that's the price they pay too. I am going to call around tomorrow and see what I can find.

Yeah, It's awesome. He only gets a nickel from recycling so if he charges me a dime each he makes out...I guess.

I always suggest try a local pub/bar and ask for empty bottles (and CASES to store bottles in). Another option my employees love is that I will throw a BBQ and supply a pop-top beer (i.e. samual adams) and my problem is solved and my employees are happy...

Back