Papazian's "Who's in the Garden" Hoegaarden Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingPellinore

Reaction score
I brewed the "Who's in the Garden" recipe out of Charlie Papazian's The Complete Joy of Homebrewing 21 days ago. After 7 days in the Primary, I racked it into the Secondary. Racking seems to have "kicked something into gear" in the fermentation, as I have seen bubbles in my airlock about every 20 seconds for the last 2 weeks.

For information purposes, here's the recipe:

5lb. Extra Light DME (I used Munton's)
2lb. Light Honey
1oz. Hallertauer (60 min.)
1/2 oz. Hallertauer (15 min.)
1/2 oz. Hallertauer (5 min.)
1-1/2 oz. Crushed Coriander (3/4 oz. 15 min, 3/4 oz. 5 min.)
1/2 oz. Dried Sweet Orange Peel (5 min.)
Belgian Wit (I used White Labs Belgian Wit)

It's been slowly, but steadily fermenting much longer than any of my other brews. This is the 6th brew and it's the only that's taken this long to complete fermentation.

The only thing I can think of that might be slowing the brew down is the honey. Since it's a different type of sugar than maltose, is it fermenting more slowly, or is there another factor I'm not considering?

Am I missing something here or isn't there supposed to be some wheat in this beer?

I just bottled up a belgian wit using that same yeast several days ago, and it was funky. It was the first time I thought my beer had gone bad in the fermentor, but Friday I went to a local brewpub and had their wit, and I could taste the same yeast flavor, but it was very pleasant.....point being, you're going to want to let it sit for a few weeks anyway to get the cleanest flavor from that yeast (I feel that I bottled mine too early at 2 weeks, even with no activity for days) so you may as well let things run their course....

Thanks for the heads up, snailsongs. Once there's no more airlock activity, I'll probably rack it again to make sure it's as clean as possible.

Latest posts

Back