Adding Water Post-Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boyurboy

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brewed two beers today, using the partigyle method, and all went pretty darn well. I made a maple porter and a honey brown, and hit my numbers very well for the porter at 5.75G in the fermenter at 1.086. :drunk: For the brown, I lost too much to evaporation and ended up with somewhere around 4.5 in the fermenter at 1.048.

My question is this: would it be horribly wrong to add .5 to .75 boiled/cooled water to the secondary for the brown to make up the difference in order to yield closer to 5G in the keg? Should I just chalk it up to a learning experience and be happy that I got 10-ish gallons of beer that is bubbling away? Thanks!

It seems to me like a bad idea to add water after fermentation is complete, not sure why. I much prefer full-bodied beers myself - I'd let it be and take what I got.

If I were goign to top oiff I'd do it before I pitch. If I were you I'd just take the 4.5 gallons and proceed as normal.

Back