You didn't think I'd do it, didja.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garlic_Mash

Reaction score
I live in Gilroy, so I suppose it was only a matter of time. I guess next I'll find out why I haven't seen anyone else do it, because I canNOT be the first one who thought about it...

Besides,,, they put it in ice cream....

So, yes; I made a Citra Pale, and racked off a gallon...

and put some garlic in it. The festival is in a few weeks, it'll just barely have time to settle up a little. We'll see.

[as noted, I don't know that I expect it to be any good, so - being a chicken - I only made a gallon]

What the hell. Charlie P lets out a recipe for beer with a dead chicken in it, how bad can mine be?

I could see roasted garlic being used in a dark or hoppy recipe. Some hops throw onion type flavors that some people don't mind. Keep us posted.

Ooh, roasted garlic would just dissolve in secondary...

... could just put it in the boil...

Anyway, I got the idea last year when I was on the porch, enjoying a brew and the wind shifted and came in off the garlic fields. It hit my nose about the same time the beer hit my tongue and I thought to myself 'this could work'.

I shall let you know if it really did.

Hmm, roasted garlic in a dryish porter... *walks off, thinking*

Been through Gilroy a couple times and even tried the garlic ice cream. Never thought of garlic beer. Let us know how it turns out!

I tried this it made a fantastic beer for cooking and made a great beer bread but all I could smell was garlic and it really over powered the beer Like you I just did a gallon

From the UK

garlic_beer.jpg

I live in Gilroy, so I suppose it was only a matter of time. I guess next I'll find out why I haven't seen anyone else do it, because I canNOT be the first one who thought about it...

Besides,,, they put it in ice cream....

So, yes; I made a Citra Pale, and racked off a gallon...

and put some garlic in it. The festival is in a few weeks, it'll just barely have time to settle up a little. We'll see.

[as noted, I don't know that I expect it to be any good, so - being a chicken - I only made a gallon]

What the hell. Charlie P lets out a recipe for beer with a dead chicken in it, how bad can mine be?

Seriously dead chicken in a beer recipe??? Gross!!!

Call your garlic beer Van Helsing Special...

"<i>Seriously dead chicken in a beer recipe???</i>"

I have an older copy of the homebrew book, but yes, it has a recipe that calls for a whole, parboiled and crushed chicken. with sherry, raisins and mace (the herb) in a sack which is added to 10 gallons of ale in secondary. I don't know anyone who knows anyone who knows anyone who is interested.

In other news. It's kegged and chilling and the first smallish sip has me wishing I'd made more than a gallon. I only put one full-size clove and one medium one in the secondary, it's more of an aromatic than anything else, which is just what I wanted. It's garlic festival weekend, too!

To heck with using this to cook chicken, I want it for my MUG! (I have a blackened IPA that came out wrong, I'll barbecue with that)

Back