Using lactose at bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

501irishred

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've seen several recipe's that add lactose just prior to bottling "to taste". Is lactose 100% unfermentable, or will this affect amount of fermentables need for conditioning? If so, is there a chart somewhere that can spell it out? I have never used it (lactose) before, but I'm on trial #4023 trying to come up with a beer that SWMBO will like, so basically desperate times=desperate measures....... :eek:

Lactose is unfermentable. Make her something light with a pound or two of honey in it. That's what I did and she drank a lot of it.

Thanks! Yeah, so far I've tried light, heavy, dark, dry (yes I've thought of honey..), fruit laden, hoppy, not hoppy, blah blah.....................but never a "sweet" dessert type beer. I'm thinking something wheat oriented, with some good caramel flavors (crystal ~60), vanilla, and yes some good ol' lactose for sweetness and creamy mouth feel. Here's to try 4024!

Try the NB chocolate milk stout extract kit. Pretty good beer. I have a batch of it kegged right now and it's the bomb. Has a little sweet finish with the pound of lactose you put in.

Hmmm, I haven't done an extract kit in a while. Maybe something to consider. At least it would be a lot less time devoted if it yet again wasn't something she liked. :mug:

Just remember....put most of the LME extract in at FO. Otherwise you'll get the carmelizing. But I'm sure you already know this. I really like NBs dark LME. If used right, it makes some good dark beers.

Yep, made that mistake only once. Even though it was years ago, seems like only yesterday......one of only 2 batches I eventually threw out. Instead of FO, I usually add at about 10min now.

Back