"Dank" Hop Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChadChaney

Reaction score
I really want to make a nice dank IPA, along the lines of FW Double Jack, Lagunitas Hopstoopid, Uinta Duhbe, etc. I realize those are all DIPA's but I love the hop profile, nice and earthy, dank. I see CTZ is always mentioned as having that flavor, but what other hops am I looking to use? I have access to Centennial, Cascade, Amarillo, Citra, Magnum, Crystal, Northern brewer, Sorachi Ace and some tradtional noble hops. I was thinking of the combo of CTZ with Centennial and Amarillo, am I off here, do I need Simcoe for this profile, if so I have about 6 oz of Falconers I could use. All comments welcome, well, as long as they are nice, LOL..

CTZ, Centennial & Amarillo is a great combo!

I also like to throw either CTZ, Chinook or Nugget in at flameout (just a touch) to add some herbal character with all the Centennial & Amarillo finishing hops.

Lots of great combos with the hops you listed. Good luck!
--LexusChris

Agreed! Throw some Chinook in at the end. To me, chinook and CTZ = the dankness. Lots of late addition, high alpha hops and dry hopping give a real resiney character. I'm drooling.

None of those beers in your opener are particularly dank. Fresh Pliny the Elder would be dank. You're looking for those marijuana notes when you speak of dank. That raw, green, intoxicating, unique hop character that is not quite fruity or earthy.

For that, you want Apollo, Summit, and Columbus. These hops are also a bit citrusy, which is a good thing. You can soften the blow by those potent hops with some Amarillo or Simcoe (for added complexity and fruit) and some Centennial or Chinook (for more piney citrus) used in small amounts late in the boil.

I think CTZ and simcoe are what you're looking for.

Hop stupid hops:
0.65 oz Cascade @12
0.65 Chinook @12
1.3 oz Simcoe @0
.77 oz chinook - dry
1.5 oz simcoe - dry
3 oz columbus - dry

Dubhe hops:
49g chinook @60
77g columbus @30
44g columbus @5
44g bravo @5
44g bravo @0
96g falconers flight - dry hop

Double Jack:
Centennial and Cascade - flavor
Centennial, cascade, simcoe, amarillo, chinook - dry hop

There's an Official Lagunitas-released clone recipe for Hop Stoopid and a CYBI recipe for Union Jack (not Double) online. Even if they don't meet everyone else's idea of dank, you might try to brew one of them if that's the kind of beer you want. I'm open to the idea that if you add enough of just about any hop or hop combo for flavor/aroma/dry-hop purposes, you'll get the kind of beer you want.

Back