Portable igloo cooler kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tim, thanks for the measurements. As for the 2.5 I linked to above it actually is a full 9 inches. My wonderful SWMBO got me one of those 2.5g kegs and a 60qt cube yesterday for my b-day. there is no way a second will fit because of the width. This is unfortunate because with the new type keg on the hump the lid still closes so no need to upgrade the lid. Maybe it will fit next to a standard 3 or 2.5 but my measurements say not without bending/forcing into the curve of the cooler. If not will just fill the dead space with a growler or some bottles.

Nicely done:) what is the orange part?

That's a Coleman 2 Gallon Party Stacker -
http://www.coleman.com/product/2-gallon-party-stackertrade-jug-red/3000000730#.UAr7zO6m9lc

It was almost perfect for this application... I only needed to cut a strip from the inside for my gas hose to run through.

I replaced the Igloo plastic wheels with some from a broken dolly I had in the garage:
http://www.homedepot.com/Storage-Or...splay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051

The bearings were too small for the cooler axle so I replaced those with skateboard bearings... perfect fit!

Huh..... I thought I had an original idea. Should have known better!

Anyway, here are the pics from the one I built today.

Components:

IMG_0590.jpg

Trimmed the top to fit a 5gal keg and CO2 bottle:

IMG_0595.jpg

Finished product:

IMG_0594.jpg

what tools did you use to cut the whole on the top of your cooler? also did you cut the tabs off in the back so that the entire top is removable?

another option with a 5 gallon keg. I like the two keg option what is the diameter of those small kegs? If they are the same as the five gallon I wonder if you could put two five gallon kegs coming through the top like I did with the single I will have to measure.

mobile_keg001.JPG

what tools did you use to cut the whole on the top of your cooler? also did you cut the tabs off in the back so that the entire top is removable?

@M1ke
How did you attach the 2gallon part to the base lid? How secure is it? I assume this is used for the 5 gallon kegs right?

@M1ke
How did you attach the 2gallon part to the base lid? How secure is it? I assume this is used for the 5 gallon kegs right?

Yes, it holds a single 8.5" diameter 5 gallon corney keg.

The 2 gallon cooler is very secure right now, though it can be removed with some force.

On the Igloo cube lid top layer, I cut the hole a few centimeters shy of the 2 gallon cooler's red section diameter, which is slightly larger than the white section (where the handles mount and lid threads are).

The bottom layer of the cube lid is cut a few centimeters short of the 2 gallon cooler's white section diameter.

So, the 2 gallon cooler slides in (with a bit of force) until the red part hits the bottom layer of the cube lid, which ends up being enough height inside to accommodate the keg, hoses, and faucet.

How much does the transport on these shake them up and make them give foamy pours?

I transport chilled and carbonated and then ice down on arrival. My beer lines are 6' (I think). I've never had a problem with excess foaming that was not caused by my own over-carbonation of the beer.

How much does the transport on these shake them up and make them give foamy pours?

I have been taking mine to work at around 1:30 and we start drinking at 5:30... haven't noticed any excessive amount of foam. My beer line is 5ft.

Thanks to the help on this thread...here is mine in action. Carbon copies of a lot of the set ups on here. Only one tap for now tho...but I off set the faucet just in case :)

IMG_6999.jpg

Will 2x 5 gallon (8.5in wide) cornies fit in the igloo 70 with no lid? I am assuming that since 2x22.5 and 3's will fit that 2x5's will as well?

Will 2x 5 gallon (8.5in wide) cornies fit in the igloo 70 with no lid? I am assuming that since 2x22.5 and 3's will fit that 2x5's will as well?

Without measuring I'd say it depends. If you are going to install shanks and a small manifold like I did...they will not. My kegs actually sit slightly below the shanks and 2-5-gallon cornies would not fit in mine. If you are looking at plumbing it up higher after building it up or using it to serve off of picnic taps, then maybe, depending on how you run your gas lines (if you run them thru the cooler).

I hope that made sense. If not and if my previous photos do not reflect what I mean, then let me know and I'll post more pictures.

Great info, my intention was to build a wooden collar of some sort so taht the kegs could be completely hidden. I thought about putting shanks through the collar but I would probably still be up against the kegs at that point.

But, its safe to saw from a diameter perspective they will fit - I just need to get creative with what I do up top?

Just an FYI - this cooler is currently $44.88 at Walmart with free shipping (if you add 12 cents of other eligable stuff to get total to 45). Better than target where shipping was through the roof and better than the only local store that wants 70 for it (Dicks Sports)

Great info, my intention was to build a wooden collar of some sort so taht the kegs could be completely hidden. I thought about putting shanks through the collar but I would probably still be up against the kegs at that point.

But, its safe to saw from a diameter perspective they will fit - I just need to get creative with what I do up top?

Considering you are not fighting the inside height and your collar can be as tall as you want, I think you'd be ok.

I've been using the Coleman Xtreme5 75qt cooler for two 5-gallon kegs (with the lid open) but just got two of the Chinese 2.5 gallons kegs and THEY FIT inside with the lid CLOSED. There is plenty of room inside this thing - I can even fit a 5lb co2 tank with regulator wedged between the kegs. Just figured I'd point it out, since the new 2.5 gallon kegs are < $80ea at corny keg.com and the cooler is about $50 at Walmart.

I ould like to try and make one of these. I know nothing about doing this so please forgive me. I have a 5 gallon round Igloo cooler and a 2.5 gallon keg. I have a CO2 tank already with tubing. What I need to know is what parts do I need for the shank. Do I need just a shank? Any other parts? Nuts? Tail pieces? Sizes? I am thinking a 4" shank is probably too long. Any suggestions? What size holes would I drill? It will be just one connection. I basically have everything other than the shank parts and then how to put it all together. Thank you in advance,

You will need a shank and a faucet, ritebrew.com had the best prices I've found (and superfast shipping and great CS!) and you will need to drill a 7/8 hole for the shank. That's pretty much all there is to this.

Thank you OP, I have been slowing getting stuff together for the past year for one of these, and I should get the cooler in tonight. Just in time for our club picnic this Sunday!

That's what I'm going to use, I have the one's with the barbed ends (less to buy). Since this is not an everyday use kegerator I just bought the cheap chrome faucets. All total, it was like 20 bucks a set.

exactly, didn't realize you already had a faucet. You'll want to install it as high as you can, and will probably have to load the keg in then attach the faucet, but that's simple.

Wow. Sounds easy. And this piece has the line connection already on it it looks like. So now all I have to do is order this, drill a hole with an 7/8" drill bit, fit shank in hole, tighten up, connect hose and faucet and I am good to go?

Awesome thread!!!
I ordered a "Igloo 70-Quart Ice Cube MaxCold Roller" from Walmart.com today. $48.22 with tax, in store pick up. Should be ready for pick up the last week of Oct.
Hope to have the rest of the parts and assembled by Thanksgiving.

Thanks for all the info,
Alo

I put mine together over the weekend. I rigged it up to do double duty: either to house two 3 gallon kegs or to be used as a jockey box.

Pics to follow......

So my Igloo 70-Quart cooler has arrived and I have ordered all parts.
One Question... how are you mounting the 20oz PB tank to the back of the cooler. It looks like some of you have used what looks like "bike water bottle holders". The 20oz PB tank I have does not fit in a standard "bike water bottle holder". My PB tank looks like every other tank I've seen. Any input would be appericated.

Thanks,
Alo

In response to Alo. I have a Schwinn plastic water bottle holder that I bought at Walmart. It's attached to a piece of wood and has two Velcro straps secured under the holder to the wood as well. The 20oz co2 tank makes the holder stretch outward, the Velcro straps secure the bottle in the holder. I painted the wood black and liquid nailed it to the cooler between the handles. I also cut the wood to be an extremely tight fit between the handles, I had to pound the weed a little with my hand to get it into place.

Has anyone tried a collar on the 70 quart to accommodate a 5gal without having to cut up the cooler?

My bike holder BARLEY lets it fit and I have a strap to help hold it. I am going to change the design and figure a way to mount it on the side so I can roll up/down stairs or maybe to pull handle. My water bottle holder was a cheap one from Target and I had to bend it. Also I used dry-wall anchors to secure it

Pic 1: This is the backside of the unit. I have yet to mount some sort of holder for my paintball canister/regulator, but its coming.

The pass thru's are for either liquid or gas, depending on the setup.

photo(15).jpg

Pic 2: This is the inside of the cooler. The day I took the pics I had it setup for a single keg with the coldplate. Had 4 bags of ice inside and it took the beer from about 65 degrees (ambient) room temp to about 40 degrees after a few cups.

The coldplate is a 3 pass, and I can remove it for two 3 gallon kegs when using it as a standalone rig.

photo(13).jpg

Back