Explain your handle / De construct your avatar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In 1986, I was given a copy of The Complete Joy of Home Brewing. I brewed a batch and wanted to make a label. The only graphic I had was a rat (on dot matrix printer and trs80 computer). I still have the book with the labels from my first 5 brews stuck to the back cover.

My initials + 17, Matt Kenseths number. Looks like I am going to need a new handle for next year. :( And of course Andy Capp, my hero; he has gotten away with his shenanigans for a long timne. :D

In season one of Eastbound and Down, Kenny Powers refers to himself as the reverse apache master, among other names. I liked it. I stole it. I am now the reverse apache master.

I am currently a Master Chief on active duty in the U.S. Navy and my avatar is the symbol for my rank. Loud and proud baby! Hooyah! As for my handle, back in the day, when I was serving on the great ship USS ENTERPRISE (CVN 65), the guys I worked with called me Ruff Rider and it stuck. Rider is like a phonetic pronunciation of my last name.

My avatar is a bourbon barrel that was used to make dark intrigue I purchased it from victory brewing company in the back of my 03 civic si. My user name pretty much self explanatory I have never had a beer that was too hoppy

H-ost

My name is Hans Osterstrom.... simple

The pic is a beer, some dice, and some cards. I like to play games and am a crafty card player. Oh, and I like beer...

My man hmmm from a book called elven star as for avatar its all picked out just gotta fork out the cash

Catfish is a nickname I was given by a friend about 17 years ago and it stuck. Some people only know me as Catfish. The 78, easy, YOB.

A guy I went to highschool with was quirky. Instead of awesome or cool he would say 'kaconga' or 'good gravy' when he liked something. I thought kaconga was pretty funny and knew it would never be used for any gamer tag or email. So I have been kaconga for 12 years now.

No avatar yet but it would definitely have to be something to do with the outdoors when I get around to it. I am an avid angler and hiker when not obsessing over food and beer.

Deaf Smith (pronounced Deef Smith) was a famous character from Texas history - served as a scout for Sam Houston. Seemed appropriate for me - I live in Texas, I'm about half deaf, and my middle name is Smith.

The avatar - a picture of one of my slide rules. For those who are thinking "What the hell is a slide rule?", there was a time, not so long ago, when there were no personal computers, no cell phones, no iPods or iPads, no interwebz, not even pocket calculators. If you needed to make some calculations involving more than addition and subtraction, you had a choice: pencil and paper, a table of logarithms, or a slide rule. In fact, the slide rule was as much a symbol of the engineer as a stethoscope is a symbol of a doctor. I'm old enough to remember those days - a slide rule was my constant companion in college and my first few years on the job as an engineer. When I bought my first electronic calculator in 1973, I tossed my slide rule in a drawer, not to see the light of day until I got interested in slide rules again a few years ago. I realized what an amazingly clever instrument the slide rule is and began collecting them. Anyway, the avatar pic is a low resolution version of a pic I posted on a slide rule forum to show how I modified the cursor to change the folded scales from being folded at pi to being folded at sqrt(10), which has some advantages. Yeah, I know, that's TMI.

I do use a slide rule in brewing - once I know my preboil volume and gravity, I can see at a glance what the gravity will be for a given post boil volume, or conversely, what volume I will have for a given OG. For this job, slide rule > digital calculator.

Deaf Smith (pronounced Deef Smith) was a famous character from Texas history - served as a scout for Sam Houston. Seemed appropriate for me - I live in Texas, I'm about half deaf, and my middle name is Smith.

The avatar - a picture of one of my slide rules. For those who are thinking "What the hell is a slide rule?", there was a time, not so long ago, when there were no personal computers, no cell phones, no iPods or iPads, no interwebz, not even pocket calculators. If you needed to make some calculations involving more than addition and subtraction, you had a choice: pencil and paper, a table of logarithms, or a slide rule. In fact, the slide rule was as much a symbol of the engineer as a stethoscope is a symbol of a doctor. I'm old enough to remember those days - a slide rule was my constant companion in college and my first few years on the job as an engineer. When I bought my first electronic calculator in 1973, I tossed my slide rule in a drawer, not to see the light of day until I got interested in slide rules again a few years ago. I realized what an amazingly clever instrument the slide rule is and began collecting them. Anyway, the avatar pic is a low resolution version of a pic I posted on a slide rule forum to show how I modified the cursor to change the folded scales from being folded at pi to being folded at sqrt(10), which has some advantages. Yeah, I know, that's TMI.

I do use a slide rule in brewing - once I know my preboil volume and gravity, I can see at a glance what the gravity will be for a given post boil volume, or conversely, what volume I will have for a given OG. For this job, slide rule > digital calculator.

+1 on nostalgia. And using your brain. :mug:

pstrohs: nickname that comes from an abbreviation of my first and last name.

avatar: It goes to eleven...nuff said.

That's a cool sirname for a home brewer! If I remember right,it was Yohan Peter Stroh that started the brwery baring his name...

I have been using this handel since about 1998.... pm5k is a band, powerman5000, not that great of a band but I really like one of their albums back in high school, and I graduated in the year 2000. So there you go pm5k + 2000 = pm5k00. Avatar is a neon sign of my favorite sports team, the Anaheim Angels (they are not in LA and I refuse to refer to them as such).

During the resurrection of the popularity of fine cigar smoking, I learned how to roll cigars and marketed a kit for rolling your own. I figured the big boys would think poorly of me, so I embraced the anticipated rejection by naming my business Cabron Industries. Cabron in Spanish is b@st@rd. Trying to lock up a related email name, adding the 99 was the only way it would be accepted. Kind of got used to it. My quote sums up my feeling about life, although I'm thinking of changing to be beer related. "Life is too short for commercial beer"?? Doesn't quite have the same irreverent ring.

Pat

I am a commercial rated pilot and really like aviation history. I chose my handle because it represents the golden age of aviation so well. No avatar yet but it will be my logo when I get one.

downloadfile.png

Wooda2008 was my high school username, so i stuck with it. used to be bipolarschizo earlier in life but decided to grow up a little.
Avi is a picture of a local hydroelectric dam shortly after Irene hit Vermont.

Chessking, because I have done what could not be done. While playing Chess Titans I defeated the game by removing the oposing king from the board, and the went on to capture every remaining piece. Those of you who play know this is imposable. Checkmate concludes the game. Mind you this is a computer game and one assumes that it is familiar with the rules. I suppose it was a glich of some sort, but I have never repeated the event and in my desire to self promote, I have taken full credit. Prosit!

IMG_3470 (800x600).jpg

IMG_3471.jpg

..... (see above) ......

monk-tap-36017.jpg

This is Brother "taP".

(Brother Pat was a funny, gnarly old coot @ the Burp Castle in NYC (Where else can you rollerblade to, and have a Chimay and a cheese-plate on Sat. afternoon, with Mozart opera playing? HUH?)

Latest posts

Back