Lavender

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colorowdy

Reaction score
I am thinking about making a lavender pale ale. My question to all you good people is, how to sterize it? Also should I put in my boil or dry hop it? Thanks virtual friends.

Good info of quantities and styles here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/lavender-138711/

Here too: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/lavender-beer-i-know-55896/

I've done a number of follow-up experiments with lavender in an attempt to improve/perfect it.
1) Added 2 tbs culinary lavender to previously described wheat recipe at beginning of boil, end of boil, or in secondary. Of 11 tasters, end of boil got the highest score, but they were all similar. The secondary definitely had a greater lavender aroma and flavour. The beginning of boil was almost invisible, and the end of boil had a very slight aroma and flavour.
2) Added 1, 2, or 4 tbs culinary lavender to the secondary of the above wheat recipe. The 2 tbs got the highest score here. The 1 was present but subtle. The 4 was quite strong- many thought overpowering, but my wife was happy with it.
3) All-grain stout (3# 2-row, 1# choc malt, 0.5# dark crystal, 0.25# each roasted barley and red wheat, mash 160 x60min, 0.5 oz Fuggles at 60 and 30 min, Yeast S-04) with 0, 2, or 4 tbs lavender added to secondary. The 2 tbs got the highest score and was _really_ interesting. The stout and lavender flavours worked quite well.

Summary: I plan to use 2 tbs in the secondary in the future. Planning to do the wheat and the stout with that amount of lavender as well as some lactose, since I think a little sweetness with the lavender would be fabulous.

Talk about alcohol soak and boiling here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/adding-lavender-beer-176363/

There seems to be no tried and true method, but also no reports of issues when just adding to secondary. I would add at 5 min in boil and in secondary.

just brewed a lavender wheat.... was going to add lavender during boil, but my friend suggested throwing it in the mash, so we did....it smelled amazing with some honey malt...i can't wait to see how it come out

Lavender in beer sounds sexy, but it can taste and smell like you dropped a bar of Grandma's old fashioned soap in the boil. Try a bottle of The Bruery's Orchard White to see if lavender in beer is right for you.

orchard-white.jpg

I brewed a sour cherry lavender Saison a couple of months ago. Put the lavender in the last 5 min. It took some time for everything to blend together, but ended up turning out great.

I used 7 tablespoons for 5 gallons. Did some tests and didn't have a scale around, so I used tablespoons! It's quite a bit for most beers, but the sour cherries had a pretty strong flavor, so I wanted a nice intense smell as well. As I mentioned, it has taken awhile for everything to blend, but after about a month and a half in bottles things are coming together nicely!

I made a lavender chamomile belgian table beer last summer, I used a .5 ounces chamomile flowers and culinary lavender @5 mins and wanted a bit more lavender flavor so I made a couple cups of a lavender tea with .25 ounces lavender and added that at bottling. now after ~ 8 months in bottles I'm really happy with the complexity of the flavors as they blend, but it took a bit of waiting.

I made a belgian christmas ale and we used all kind of spices. We added them 5 min before the end of the boil. I think we tossed in a handful of dried lavender flovers. The armoa was really nice, but in my opinon it really takes time for it to mellow out, so that it is more balanced. It was supposed to be ready for xmas, but I think it's way better nowadays. I'm going to spare the few bottles that I still have and maybe drink one after 6 months or so.

That said I would not brew a wit (or something that needs to be consumed quickly) with lavender, unless you use the "soak in vodka"-method. That way you at least have greater controll of the flavour your beer will have. But if you really love lavender then you shouldn't be afraid. The flavour can however be very dominant.

... now after ~ 8 months in bottles I'm really happy with the complexity of the flavors as they blend, but it took a bit of waiting.

Waiting is no problem...I have several cases of beer aging right now. The complex flavours that develop over time are always worth the wait (to me at least)

I'm considering doing 2 versions of this lavender beer: 1 will be a pale ale base with a SG of about 50 or so, and the other will be a dark, heavy base (thinking stout) with a higher SG for a holiday brew

Getting ready to bottle a lavender wit and took a taste... I'm into crazy beer flavors but this is too intense even for me.

1 oz of lavender (put in dry along with .5 bitter orange with 5 mins left in the boil) is way too much lavender for a 2.5 gallon brew... for future reference...

Smells amazing, tastes like I'm chewing on the lavender plant. Maybe it will mellow in the bottle?

Back