LME and DME in the Same Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdburg

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm somewhat new to homebrewing, and I'm hoping someone might be able to enlighten me a bit regarding the use of both dry malt extract and liquid malt extract in the same recipe. I've seen several recipes, most often clone recipes, that use both types of extract.

What, if any, is the benefit? Is there a texture difference or something when you use both DME and LME?

Thanks in advance for your help.

cdburg said:
Hello everyone,

I'm somewhat new to homebrewing, and I'm hoping someone might be able to enlighten me a bit regarding the use of both dry malt extract and liquid malt extract in the same recipe. I've seen several recipes, most often clone recipes, that use both types of extract.

What, if any, is the benefit? Is there a texture difference or something when you use both DME and LME?

Thanks in advance for your help.

The two are the same thing in essense. Take some DME and add water and you have LME.

The benefit of DME is that it comes in much lighter shades that the LME. Light LME and light DME will produce very different looking beers. LME will darken over time.

You can always substitute 0.85 lb of DME for 1.0 lb of LME.

-walker

Also measuring out DME is easier than LME. They both are basically the same in all other aspects except for color - but the longer you boil the more caramelized the malt becomes which darkens beer too.

- WW

I have switched over to DME whereever extract is called for. at my LHBS they are the same $/pound, so you are getting a little more bang for buck with dry, it is easier to handle (don't need to heat LME container in order to pour, etc), the color is more predictable, and I think that it mixes quicker, and thus is less prone to scorching. From a practical perspective, there isn't anything "wrong" with combining them, it is just that each have unique pros and cons.

My lhbs puts together kits with both LME and DME and he says the DME is just to help keep costs down albeit just a little. Also, a lot of kits come with LME and then suggest adding sugar, whereas adding DME instead of sugar will make a better tasting beer.

The only advantage I've found to LME is the price. Otherwise, might as well use dried. In addition to the points made above, it also keeps longer.

Seems like alot of fellows like the DME. I really dont, I find that the clumping it does is a pain in the Butt. LME just warm it up and pour it in no fuss. Am I missing any thing on the DME? I did read in Palmers book he will mix it with cold water first to avoid the clumping, but I have not tried this.

Brew-boy said:
Seems like alot of fellows like the DME. I really dont, I find that the clumping it does is a pain in the Butt. LME just warm it up and pour it in no fuss. Am I missing any thing on the DME? I did read in Palmers book he will mix it with cold water first to avoid the clumping, but I have not tried this.

I don't use the cold water trick from Palmer. I just dump the DME into hot water with one hand while rapidly whisking (creating a whirlpool) with the other hand.

-walker

Latest posts

Back