What are you enjoying tonight?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DuallyBrew

Reaction score
Waitig (im)patiently for my first brew to finish fermenting... Then bottling... I have been going threw the Stone Brew menu.

So far I really love their IPA. Tonight I enjoyed the Ruinition IPA... Very good, but so far their standard IPA is a little better. I really like the hop aroma of the Ruinition though.

Some kind of IPA has certainly become my second brew. Either a 90 minute, double, or standard.

I'm takin' a different approach - altho I should be sippin' on some IPA before too long :cool:

tonight I'm enjoying Roy Hargrove's Moment to Moment cd with a few of my recently-bottled wheats. and then, before I realized what was happening, it turned 2:30 in the morning. Cheers!

last night as it now is I enjoyed a bottle of Saison Pipaix from Belgium and a bottle of Brewferm 8% Triple from my garage. Hmmmmm.

Roger.

Today after work I'll be finishing off my keg of Rye IPA and enjoying my last Kuba Kuba from Drew Estates.

Wild

Tonight I plan on mowing and trimming the yard, then enjoying a Hefeweizen or two while I clean all the floors of the house. (we're having a gathering on Friday night and want the house to look presentable.) Vacuuming and mopping go so much better when you've had a couple beers.

Tecate with a lime. Hotter than Hell here and I got no home brew left :mad: (ok a couple bottles here and there but I'm saving them). That Black cat mild I made is less than appealing...

DuallyBrew said:
Waitig (im)patiently for my first brew to finish fermenting... Then bottling...

I'm in that same boat...seems like it's taking forever :( Meantime while I wait I've been "tasting" all kinds of stuff to get ideas for the second batch, and I must of gained twenty lbs :eek:

Anyway, last night I had to toast a pint of Belhaven Wee Heavy Scotch Ale to dearly departed Scotty...very good stuff.

wild said:
Today after work I'll be finishing off my keg of Rye IPA and enjoying my last Kuba Kuba from Drew Estates.

Wild

Drew makes some awesome cigars! I was at tasting night they put on once at a friends smoke shop. Got an "egg" for free... Now THAT was an interesting smoke!

Nothing. I usually don't drink weeknights except for the occasional gathering of friends at a restaurant. But tomorrow is Friday, I'll be brewing Saturday and I have Monday off! :D

Tomorrow evening, I'll be trying out one of my Kilkenny, You Bastards! Irish Red ales, just to see how it's coming along. I bottled it two weeks ago and it is the last extract brew I did before going AG. I'll also be bottling a 'sort-of' Hop Rod Rye clone and I'll be having one of the real things while I bottle.

Saturday, I'm brewing a SNPA clone and I like to drink an example of the beer I am brewing while brewing it. So, I'll be having a couple SNPAs while I'm brewing, along with the last of my homebrewed Kolsch's - which turned out great, BTW!

The rest of the weekend is wide open!

Rhoobarb said:
Tomorrow evening, I'll be trying out one of my Kilkenny, You Bastards! Irish Red ales, just to see how it's coming along. I bottled it two weeks ago and it is the last extract brew I did before going AG.

Interesting name for the Irish Red.....I like it! :)

Last night when I was brewing I was drinking mostly Guinness cause I had some I wanted to get rid of. I made a few black and tans with the new turtle. I finished off the night with some Strawberry Blonde. I was ticked cause I forgot I had a Stone IPA sitting in my beer fridge behind a keg!

Tonight I'm gonna polish off the sixer of St. George IPA that I got for my labor of bottling them at the brewery... :)

Like Rhoobarb I usually don't drink during the week 'cause I gotta get up for P.T. in the morning. But I am going to keg the double batch of Lawnmower Beer that I brewed 2 weeks ago. A cold Lawnmower with a slice of lime is great this time of year, it's hot here too. One keg is earmarked for a buddy's Beef and Beer Bash this weekend the other is for a Company Picnic a couple of weeks from now. I have plans to brew up a California Common (Anchor Steam) this weekend. I may have my apprentice brewers make a double batch of Kolsh too.
RogerN that is the greatest beer quate ever!

beergod35 said:
RogerN that is the greatest beer quate ever!

Glad you like it, live by that code and you won't go far wrong.
Another good one is a poem I learnt in the Navy. To be recited when you get your first beer of the day.

Beer oh beer your such a pest
You often keep me from my rest
You sometimes turn my friends to foes
but now your here
F**k it
Here goes.

Hey Rog,

This may go a little against the point of your original post, and for that I apologize, but tonight I DID NOT enjoy a St Arnold Amber Ale. I feel bad about that, as it seems necessary to support micro-brewers whenever possible, and I have enjoyed St Arnold's other beers in the past. But in spite of the fact that amber ales have always been my favorites, this one just didn't taste that great, and on top of that it was a screw top bottle. :eek: I ended up pouring half the beer out.

I was then doubly surprised when I DID NOT enjoy a Paulaner Octoberfest Marzen Amber. This one wasn't near as bad as the other tho, and I can see that at some point when my palate matures a little I may be able to appreciate the complex tastes of a beer like this. For now tho, I could kind of tell that there was a lot there, but for now at least I just don't have the tools to appreciate it.
Back into the spirit of things tho...I did enjoy a Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse this evening. In fact I enjoyed it so much that I'm gonna enjoy another right now. :D

Totally off topic now, with my brews I also enjoyed a nice Pimento Cheese Spread , on some crackers (that's biscuits for you Rog, I think), and of course most importantly, I also enjoyed some time with my kids.

Sorry to hijack your thread...waiting for that first batch to finish is just making me crazy :(

El Pistolero said:
on some crackers (that's biscuits for you Rog, I think), :(

El Pistolero we call them crackers too, however if you wanted cheese and crackers in a resteraunt you would order cheese and biscuits.
Crackers isn't it? thats crazy to you mate :D

Roger.

DuallyBrew said:
Drew makes some awesome cigars! I was at tasting night they put on once at a friends smoke shop. Got an "egg" for free... Now THAT was an interesting smoke!

I may not be a fan of their business practices but I do enjoy some of their cigars such as the White Rabbit, One, and of course the Kuba Kuba. I have only seen the Egg but never dared to try it.

Wild

last night i floated my keg of Cerveza Acuna and kegged my Red Bird Irish Ale. I'm brewing a 15 gallon batch of ESB w/ a couple HBC bud's Saturday......aaahhhhh...a day of brewing, BBQ on the smoker, and a fresh Irish Red ale on tap....ain't life great!

mmmmmmm...cheese and biscuits.......mmmmmm......fish'n chips..........

damn i'm hungry!

i'm moving to texas.. all you guys with your beer and barbeque!!!

i have a 'scottish pale ale' i am enjoying now. it's a basic pale ale with a eidenburg ale yeast... the yeast is wild flavor wise, hard to describe... rather malty and sulfury at the same time... but it accentuates the hops really well. the hop flavors just stick to yer tongue.

i bottled a batch of bitter i made with the same yeast last night, and tonight i will bottle my 'civillian bitter' (this one an english style bitter with london ale yeast) named in honor of my brothers discharge from the military!!!

El Pistolero said:
I also enjoyed a nice Pimento Cheese Spread...

OH! Now you are giving me cravings... I may just have to whip up a batch this weekend...

my wife and i make homemade pizza every Sunday night, and toast it with homebrew!

there is an awesome book called "American Pie" that has the best pizza doughs and sauces recipes. we do deep dish and Newy York style. killer stuff......
we do 'em on a pizza stone in the oven or on the smoker......

El Pistolero said:
I never thought about using the smoker for pizza...brilliant!

awe-yea babe! BBQ chicken pizzas rock on the smoker. homemade dough, BBQ sauce, cilantro, red onion, fresh mozzarella, and honey-jalapeno chicken from H.E.B. (or any shredded roasted chicken will do).

man, what an awesome weekend of brewing. we did 15 gallons of ordinary bitter, sunny-hot day, boudain, beer bullets, t-bones, tunes..........that my friend's, is the good life! :D
we're gonna enter this beer into the Dixie Cup Homebrew Competition in Houston, TX. one of the oldest and biggest.................

DeRoux's Broux said:
honey-jalapeno chicken from H.E.B.
Hand's down the best roast chicken I've ever had. I know one of the exec chef's over there, and she claims it's commercial brand of marinade they inject them things with...I think she's fibbing a bit myself :mad:

DeRoux's Broux said:
we're gonna enter this beer into the Dixie Cup Homebrew Competition in Houston, TX. one of the oldest and biggest.................
Best of luck there...I may get brave enough to try that someday, but first I've got to win a chili cookoff and a bbq competition, so the beer thing when it comes will complete my career grand slam :D Of course I'm also still hoping someday for my limit of specs, reds, and flats to complete that gulf slam! :cool:

i think it's Tony Chachere's injector seasonings? i asked our local HEB and that's what the chick behind the deli counter told me..... we've used it on fried turkey's and chickens before. tasty!

man, i can relate to the spec's, red's, and flounder's! those babies are tasty too. a friend of mine is planning onm competiting at the Leauge City cook-off this fall. he asked if i'd help out, so i probably will. never been in one, so it should be fun.

DeRoux's Broux said:
i think it's Tony Chachere's injector seasonings? i asked our local HEB and that's what the chick behind the deli counter told me..... we've used it on fried turkey's and chickens before. tasty!

Yep, Tony Chachere's is what I've been told also...supposedly straight from the horses's mouth. It's strange tho...all of their other roast chickens are good, but not exceptional...this one is exceptional.

By the way...my apologies to the original poster for this being so totally off topic...or is it :confused:

yep, sorry also.

but, since it's already shot to hell, there's a brewmasters dinner at Two Row's tomorrow night. $35/person, 4 course meal and a brew matched w/ each dish. then a tour of the gadgets after dessert. my wife and i are gonna make the 1.5 hour trek. what the hay, right?

Anyone have any idea how far east Stone distributes? What about that Smoked Porter out of Alaska. Itching to try both brewers, but even our best stores aren't stocking 'em. :mad:

Damn - another good reason to move to Texas... :p

There isn't really anything worth writing home about here in Central California...

gaelone said:
Anyone have any idea how far east Stone distributes? What about that Smoked Porter out of Alaska. Itching to try both brewers, but even our best stores aren't stocking 'em. :mad:

Stone is available on the East coast. i know in TX, we can only get the Arrogant Bastard and the IPA. all the others have too high ABV.
I've seen Alaska Ale here too, but not the smoked porter. try their web pages. a friend of mine is in the beer of the month club and has got 3 Alaska Ales before........

I heard that smoke beer is good stuff. I never liked rauchbier too much, but maybe I haven't had the right ones. I gotta give it a try.

Got some GLGA (that's our house Pale Ale) on tap, and it hits the spot in the summer heat. I also have the tail end of a bigass stout we made several months ago. It's bitter and strong. Fun stuff, but it's not ideal in the heat.

Coming down the pipe is more GLGA, Hop Rod Rye clone, and a fantastic sorta clone of Rogue Brutal Bitter. I'll get my sheeat together and post the recipe soon. The hopheads among you will love it. It's right up there with the Hop Rod Recipe that is now a standard in my brewhouse.

Time to call morebeer, too. I got no mo grain! Their free shipping deal even on bulk grain is so cool for those of us in the sticks.

Cheers :D

DeRoux's Broux said:
Stone is available on the East coast. i know in TX, we can only get the Arrogant Bastard and the IPA. all the others have too high ABV.
I've seen Alaska Ale here too, but not the smoked porter. try their web pages. a friend of mine is in the beer of the month club and has got 3 Alaska Ales before........

Well, I wish I could say we have all kinds of great, available beer up here but I'd be lying. That being said, we do have some fairly passable beers that might show up in you're wharehouse-style beer stores or one of those 1,000 beers of the world joints. The Alaskan Amber is one of the more popular brands in the Anchorage area. They serve it at most all bars/restaurants and sporting events. It's not bad but it's nothing to write home about. There is also the Summer Ale, Winter Ale, and the Pale Ale.

The Midnight Sun's Kodiak Brown is actually pretty good, if a bit weak on the nuttiness. Check out the links to see if anything looks familiar. If you do find them I'd try to mix/match a 6-pack and see what you like. If anything it might be interesting for you bottle-collector types.
www.alaskanbeer.com
www.wildales.com

Janx said:
Got some GLGA (that's our house Pale Ale) on tap, and it hits the spot in the summer heat. I

Coming down the pipe is more GLGA, Hop Rod Rye clone, and a fantastic sorta clone of Rogue Brutal Bitter.

hey Janx, is that your "girly" ale :D
i'm going to try that Hop Rod finaly. my system should be done this weekend, and by the time i get the frame painted and done oogling over it, i'll get to brew up :p the first one will be a simple IPA or Brown ale, then i'll get a bigger beer together once i'm a little more familiar w/ the efficiency and work the kinks out.......
i helped brew a 15 gallon batch on a system just like it last weekend. MAN, WHAT A DIFFERENCE AND A BREEZE! :)

GLGA = Gregg's Little Girly Ale - a name coined by a friend of mine who didn't believe good beer could be made with a really straightforward recipe like just 2-row and lots of good hops. It's now his favorite kind of beer. He thought it would be "lawnmower beer". Basically, it's almost all 2-row, maybe a pound or two of something like oats or at most a pound of 10L crystal. Then you hop it heavily, like 2 oz of Columbus for bittering and handfuls of whatever aroma/flavor you want. It's pretty freeform...your basic SNPA style pale ale.

Sounds like you're ramping up to some serious production! Sounds like a good thing to me. Nothing like having 2 or 3 kegs of a tasty batch of homebrew.

Cheers :D

DeRoux's Broux said:

I didn't realize there was a restriction on what we can get here :( Is this a recent thing? I used to buy McEwan's Scotch Ale (8.5% abv) all the time, but I've noticed it's not available anymore. Is that why?

DeRoux's Broux said:
my system should be done this weekend, and by the time i get the frame painted and done oogling over it, i'll get to brew up :p

Sounds like you're really gettin your stuff together man, that's awesome! You should try & get some pic's up of your setup!

Janx - yep, tired of moving water w/ a big ass ladle! makes great beers, it's just not efficient. ready to let gravity do it all.....i have almost the same thing on tap now.
2-row, crystal 60, cara-pils, and lot's o-cascades! your right, it's the crowd pleaser when it's 105 degrees out.

El Pistolero - probably the culprit. i used to love to get Oberdorfer's Dunkel Weis, but they wouldn't change the label to say "malt liquor", so they can't import to Texas anymore. you can still get big beers, they just have to play the word game on the labels...typical Texas hu? "play by our rules or don't play at all!" :~)

i plan on it. got to show my baby off right! hope to pick it up this weekend, so maybe next week i'll post a few.......

Back