Compact IPA yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-Liam-

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a yeast for an IPA that will compact well at the bottom of the bottle? I conditioned some of my bottles in the fridge for a week and when I poured/drank them at home they tasted very clean with no overly yeasty flavour and they looked nice and clear. I do have to be careful when pouring as the sediment stirs up very easily. Anyway, I decided to bring some to a party over the weekend and I guess the yeast had re suspended in the beer on the short journey there, making them taste a little muddy and nowhere as good. I used US05.
I've used S04 for a milk stout before and that compacted nicely at the bottom and didn't seem to stir up into the beer.

British ale yeasts will flock pretty heavily.WLP 002. I have found that WLP 090 (super san diego) makes one dense bed of yeast. I've never had to shake a yeast vial so hard to break up the slug.

Do you think either of these would be ok in an American IPA?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Either of those will be fine, they're fairly high floc neutral yeast profiles. You could also go with nottingham or s05, depending on your intended profile and tempetature control one might be better than another.

Irish Ale seems to stick to the bottom pretty well, but I'd swear English Ale is the best at it. Those yeast will work in an IPA, but may not attenuate as well as a Cal Ale so you might wanna do some research on that.

Oh and if you can cold crash your beer before you bottle, you won't have that problem, there will be such a tiny amount of yeast left at the bottom it won't amount to much of anything when you pour or travel.

Irish Ale seems to stick to the bottom pretty well, but I'd swear English Ale is the best at it. Those yeast will work in an IPA, but may not attenuate as well as a Cal Ale so you might wanna do some research on that.

I agree with Irish ale. It has never given up early on me when I've fermented it cool and let temps raise towards the end. You can get it pretty clean that way, and it glues itself to bottles.

Great advice. Thanks guys.
As an aside - when I buy an unfiltered IPA and it's cloudy when I pour it, what is making it cloudy? Is it the yeast, and if so, why then doesn't it taste 'yeasty'?

Great advice. Thanks guys.
As an aside - when I buy an unfiltered IPA and it's cloudy when I pour it, what is making it cloudy? Is it the yeast, and if so, why then doesn't it taste 'yeasty'?

It's the hops from dry hopping, though some do contain some wheat as well.

British ale yeasts will flock pretty heavily.WLP 002. I have found that WLP 090 (super san diego) makes one dense bed of yeast. I've never had to shake a yeast vial so hard to break up the slug.

Funny, my experience with WLP090 is that it does not settle and compact very well. Very easy to stir back up.

I think if one could cold crash before bottling . . . why wouldn't they be kegging?

Back