Pellicle Photo Collection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My sour brown ale with ECY01, at a little more than three months.

image-3102870122.jpg

NordeastBrewer77 said:
I have c2 going right now in secondary on a farmhouse mild recipe. Totally awesome looking stuff. Starting to get a nice li'l funk too. Next wild brew will be an all c3 hoppy Belg. blonde deal.

We're about due for another trade ya know ;)

We're about due for another trade ya know ;)

I believe the next round of yeast was s'posed to be on me. :) I have the c3 in a vial from BK, so when I get it built up I will send you some. I'm also about to go throw a round of golf with my club's Yeast Wrangler, so I'll tell him to whip you up a vial of c2. Of course, if you wanna trade some beers too, I'm always game. :tank:

NordeastBrewer77 said:
I believe the next round of yeast was s'posed to be on me. :) I have the c3 in a vial from BK, so when I get it built up I will send you some. I'm also about to go throw a round of golf with my club's Yeast Wrangler, so I'll tell him to whip you up a vial of c2. Of course, if you wanna trade some beers too, I'm always game. :tank:

I've actually got all those already....I'm such a Brett nerd. Got some ecy03 and bug farm this weekend, too. :)

Tart of darkness clone with ECY Bug County pitched about 6 months ago. Coming along nicely and the pellicle is real thick, moving it around a bit didn't mess it up at all really.
2gy9f6x.jpg

2gy6lnt.jpg

IMAG0780.jpg

Sour stout with only Roeselare so far. Brewed 3/31. Strangely enough, there was no activity after the original sacch fermentation which happened immediately until about two week ago. The pellicle went from nothing to the one above in about three days.

I'm going to taste test in September and then decide what it could use, dreg-wise. I was thinking some Jolly Pumpkin La Roja bugs might be nice in it.

Around 8 months. La Folie clone using WLP3278 and dregs from two bottles of Tart of Darkness. It is already quite tart but I want to wait at least a year.

IMG_0163.jpg

p.s. thats the same strain i have in my saison... and mine has bubbles, nothing like that... anything else? or just that yeast?

I made it back in February and was showing very little sign of a pellicle till last week.

Did it warm up a little? When my cellar went from 50s to 60s, pellicles popped up in lots of my sours that hadn't had them all winter.

Just the 670. We should do a bottle swap when they're both done.

i'd be down! i'm actually heading to seattle end of this month, but they for sure wont be done haha. but i think i made mine back in... april? or somewhere around there. but i took a sample probably 2-3 weeks ago or so, and mine has some horse blanket with quite a bit of tart for some reason? but i've been tossing in the dregs from different brett beers, so it's prolly not the same anymore haha.

But still, i'd be up for a bottle swap!

Two pics of an Oud Bruin-ish beer.
I tasted it at 6.5 months on re-cultured Roselare at which point it had the slightest of oily pellicles. A few days later this baby shows up.
Ignore the time and date on the pics, as I am far too lazy to change them.

PICT0060.jpg

PICT0061.jpg

Pellicle+Sour+Blonde+Closeup.JPG

Pellicle+Sour+Blonde.JPG

Sour blonde ale with Bugfarm VI, just before bottling. You know you're a homebrewer when you see something like that and think "I can't wait to drink it!"

Sour blonde ale with Bugfarm VI, just before bottling. You know you're a homebrewer when you see something like that and think "I can't wait to drink it!"
awesome pix!

if the pellicle is still that thick, is it ready for bottling? i would have waited a while longer, but i'm still learning about sours... (aren't we all)

awesome pix!

if the pellicle is still that thick, is it ready for bottling? i would have waited a while longer, but i'm still learning about sours... (aren't we all)

Pellicles aren't like krausens in that they just mean there's oxygen present, which makes sense because I had this one in a bucket. They don't indicate active fermentation or absence thereof. But it's been at SG 1.000 for a couple months now, so it should be safe.

Pellicles aren't like krausens in that they just mean there's oxygen present, which makes sense because I had this one in a bucket. They don't indicate active fermentation or absence thereof. But it's been at SG 1.000 for a couple months now, so it should be safe.
yup, fully aware that pellicles aren't kreusen. however, i've also seen people mention that the pellicle will fall once the bugs become inactive (run out of food), a.k.a. FG is reached. but a stable 1.000 would indeed indicate that you're ready to bottle.

yup, fully aware that pellicles aren't kreusen. however, i've also seen people mention that the pellicle will fall once the bugs become inactive (run out of food), a.k.a. FG is reached. but a stable 1.000 would indeed indicate that you're ready to bottle.

I've never heard that before, about pellicles falling once terminal gravity is reached. So far, all of my sour beers kept their pellicles past that point, until I bottled.

If you shake the fermentor you can make the pellicle fall. It is just held up at the surface by residual CO2 trapped it the layer of polysaccharide scum. most of the time I don't even get a pellicle. So using the pellicle as an indicator would not work for me at all. So if you're waiting for it to fall on its own then you are basically waiting for most if not all of the dissolved CO2 to leave the beer that way there are no bubbles to keep the scum floating. This can take a decent amount of time after fermentation ends.

Found I had an infected batch, when I went to keg my Strawberry Wheat. Looks like I'll ride it out for a while, and see how it works as a sour.

image-1388098163.jpg

image-377051239.jpg

Lgaddy44 said:
Found I had an infected batch, when I went to keg my Strawberry Wheat. Looks like I'll ride it out for a while, and see how it works as a sour.

Hit it with a Brett culture and it help out along the way.

i was going to suggest the same thing - unless you're really intent on keeping your "infection" pure, why not add some known bugs to improve the chances that the end product is tasty? some wild infections are awesome, others not so much...

Sounds like a plan to me, I'll see if I can pick up a batch of Brett, this week. Do you think I'd need any oak to help the Brett along? I doubt I'd really want to impart any oak flavor to a strawberry, sour or not. I'd prefer to keep the yeasties happy, though.

Sounds like a plan to me, I'll see if I can pick up a batch of Brett, this week. Do you think I'd need any oak to help the Brett along? I doubt I'd really want to impart any oak flavor to a strawberry, sour or not. I'd prefer to keep the yeasties happy, though.

I think a roasty woody oak character would clash with the strawberry but if you could find something that would impart cleaner vanilla flavors it might complement. The bugs or brett don't need oak to be happy though.

I do wanna add, even though the oak isn't needed and doesn't match the style. If you add some flavor stripped oak, I'm talking an oz or two, you can essentially store the bugs and Brett in the oak. I've added 1 piece of oak to some of my starters and then isolated them in a very low gravity starter to allow them to reproduce. Then you have a back up of your bugs and Brett that can just be pitched into a secondary for that long slow fermentation. Picked that trick up from vinnie from RR.

Berliner Weisse, ECY06 2 months. Intensely sour.

Nice! I've been looking to get a hold of some ECY but they are never in stock. I check less than 15 min after they tweet about their stock and most strains I'm looking for a sold out.

How did you get yours?

sorry to potentially go off track on this post but I have a oatmeal stout that had been in primary almost a month that I just noticied some huge bubbles yesterday and transferred it to secondary to get it off the yeast cake. its been less than 12 hours and bubbles are slowly returning....does this look like Pellicle?

when I transferred it smelled like a delicious oatmeal stout. the only funky thing was a small fruit fly had managed to get into the airlock and die in the vodka at the top of the primary and was floating in it, not sure if that is a clear sign.

primary.JPG

secondary.JPG

Back