Peanut Butter seems popular now ...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewCanuck

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I've been noticing in the regular forums that peanut butter stouts and porters seem to be very popular lately. This intrigues me because I love peanut butter!! :ban: I was reading about csamson's PB&J Beer recipe and thought I'd start with that. I'll start with the Peanut Butter Nut Brown and work from there.

Here is the recipe I'm starting with:

Boil Volume: 19 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 15 l
Bottling Volume: 14 l
Estimated OG: 1,048 SG
Estimated Color: 20,8 SRM
Estimated IBU: 24,6 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65,00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 0,0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes
Ingredients:
------------
Grain Bill
1,50 kg Buckwheat, Wet Roasted
0,75 kg Millet, Wet Roasted
0,25 kg Amaranth
0,25 kg Flaked Rice
0,25 kg Molasses, Black Strap - Boil 15,0 min
0,25 kg Maple Syrup, Grade C - Boil for 5 min
300,00 g Powdered Peanut Butter - Secondary 30 days

Hop Schedule
10,00 g Goldings, East Kent [6,00 %] - First Wort Hop 60,0
10,00 g Fuggles [4,98 %] - Boil 60,0 min
10,00 g Fuggles [4,98 %] - Boil 30,0 min
15,00 g Goldings, East Kent [6,00 %] - Boil 15,0
15,00 g Goldings, East Kent [6,00 %] - Boil 5,0

Misc.
10,00 g Irish Moss - Boil 15,0 mins

1,0 pkg SafAle American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05)

Note: Edited 2013-06-11 to update grain bill and hop schedule to that actually used

I probably wont brew this for a month or two, no time in my schedule, but I was hoping for some input. :tank:

Has anyone tried making a GF Peanut Butter Beer?
Thanks lots!

You have to do this and come back with an update. Loves me some PB! I think I might take my oatmeal stout recipe and add some PB2. The only thing stopping me is that I can't find any recipe that had any real great success. Did you consider peanut butter extract at bottling/kegging?

Its in my brew schedule for around the beginning of April. The PB&J link I posted above seems to have great results. I'm not planning on using any extract now, but I was thinking on putting some roasted pumpkin seeds in the secondary to add aroma.

To keep my wife interested in my brewing hobby, I was thinking I'd build this into a Peanut Butter Cup Ale eventually. We'll see what happens.

The Oatmeal Stout with PB2 sounds like a good pairing, give it a go.

Okay, so I actually started this brew on Sunday. Mash went well giving me 21L at 1.030. I don't have a proper brew kettle to do a full boil; instead I plan a partial boil (7L) for all hop / misc additions. Instead of adding water to top up to final fermenting volume, lately I have been playing with mash/sparging to get my target pre-boil volume and then boiling the total volume in multiple pots, using only one for additions. In this case three total pots the largest 7.5L where I make my additions based on top up and then another 6L in the second pot and 4L in the third that are just boiled for the full time in order to get the hot break and reduction. Now for those of you following along, that was 17L start of boil. About 30 minutes into the boil I added another 2L total into my second and third pot, bringing my pre-boil volume to 19L.

The problem I've had with this approach is hitting my post boil volume. In this case I boiled off about 6L bringing my post-boil volume to 13L and after cooling 12.5L. After mixing all the wort together I got a post boil SG of 1.050 which is 2 points above my target (1.048) and very acceptable.

I'll be adding the peanut butter powder on Friday and I'll leave it alone for a couple weeks while I'm on vacation. I have an idea about recovering my lost volume but I'll post that in a new thread.

BTW I've a Strawberry Cider in the works too so I'm thinking this might lead to a PB&J version of a Snakebite.

Thanks but there is a good chance that we'll be moving back to Canada at the end of the year and I don't want to buy more electronics that require a EU power source till I know for sure. I've been eyeing up the 36L kettle from Brouwland with the 30cm indoor/outdoor propane burner but I'm waiting till August to bite. They are going to start carrying Blichmann in July/Aug sometime (based on thier Open House Flyer) and I want to see what the prices are going to be like.

Though, 60€ isn't that much and it would definately cut down on the length of the brew days. Gonna have to talk to SWMBO. Do you know what the wattage is? I didn't see it in the write up.

The ones that I have (Weck) are 2kW and the "lowest" I've seen by looking around was 1.8kW so I would expect this one to fall in that range.

That may work. I bought a couple 2kW converters when we first moved here to run some of our electronics we brought with us. Thanks for the info.

I really like peanuts... eat them or peanut butter everyday... but I had a Peanut Butter Porter at the Boston Brew Works when visiting there... I did not care for the beer... the tastes did not "mesh" as much as I thought they would.

I have had "almond" in a Brown and like that though...

Well I bottled this yesterday and holy crap was there a lot of sediment and crap in there, close to a gallon and it never really settled well. I may be moving soon and I didn't have time for another racking so I bottled it up and I'm hoping that it'll settle in the bottles. The smell was very hop heavy but the peanut butter really came through on the exhale. I didn't taste the hydro sample, since I was bottling a cider and a mead last night too. I'll give it a week or two and try it. We'll see but this may be a disappointment.

So it would up coming out tasty but not as heavy on the peanutbutter as I wat looking for. Goes great with the strawberry cider though! Gonna need a few revidions to dial it in.

ForumRunner_20130818_103628.jpg

Peanut Butter brown ale on the bottom?? Look veery pale

Mind sharing your recipe? I know you said you didnt enjoy it but ive been wanting to do a dehydrated PB2 recipe for a while now im just trying to judge how well different recipes are and how much peanutbutter everyone uses.

Call that drink "Deconstructed PB&J" lol

EDIT: Just realized i posted in the glutenfree section...carry on lol

Here is the recipe for the PB Brown Ale:

OG: 1.050 Batch Vol: 12.5L

Mash Schedule
1.50 kg Buckwheat, Roasted Light
0.75 kg Millet, Roasted Light
0.25 kg Amaranth
0.25 kg Rice, Flaked
20.00 ml Beerzyme Multi
15.00 ml Beerzyme BG
15.00 ml Beerzyme Multi

- 12L Infusion@42C -> 40C for 20min Dough-In
- Decoct 2.5L@100C -> 50C for 20min Protien Rest - Add Multi
- Decoct 8.5L@100C -> 80C for 30min Cereal Mash
- 3.5L Infusion@20C -> 68C for 45min Saccharification - Add Multi & BG
- Decoct 3,75L@100C -> 75C for 10min Mash out
- Sparge with 12L @ 75C

Hop Schedule
10.00 g East Kent Goldings [6.00 %] - First Wort 30.0 min
10.00 g Fuggles [4.98 %] - Boil 60.0 min
10.00 g Fuggles [4.98 %] - Boil 30.0 min
15.00 g East Kent Goldings [6.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min
15.00 g East Kent Goldings [6.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min

Misc
0.25 kg GF - Sugar - Molasses, Black Strap - Boil 15 min
10.00 g Irish Moss - Boil 10.0 mins
0.25 kg Maple Syrup, Grade C - Boil 5 min

1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05)
300.00 g Powdered Peanut Butter - Secondary 30 days

Bottle with 74g Dextrose

Overall there was a huge amount of trub/PB goo/etc at the bottom of the pail. I was only able to get about 7L out of the 13L that were in the fermenter.

The peanut butter is very subtle and I would want more out of it and you are right, the beer is lighter than I wanted. I think I needed to go a little darker with the roasting the grains.

The Strawberry Cider was pretty simple:

OG: 1.046 FG: 0.987 Batch Size: 4.5L

3L of Happy Day Strawberry Nectar
1L of Alnatura 100% Apple Juice
Bottled Water to Fill
Shake like hell
Pitch Vinozym Champange Yeast without rehydrating

5 weeks later I racked with 2g of Pectolytic Enzyme and topped off with 0.75L apple juice

After another 5 weeks I bottled 6 x 750ml bottles with 30g cider

Carbed for about a month

Overall its a good starting point. I'll give it another go in a few months. Packing my brewing equipment up for a few months till after we make our next move.

Back