Wyeast Pack Life after swelling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lorne17

Reaction score
Hello there,

I received a Wyeast pack with my Cream stout in March. The pack was dated December 2012. I broke the pack on Saturday and it didn't swell until today. It's still not 100% swollen, but I didn't know how long it can be swollen before I brew. Last pack I used took 2 hours to swell until it looked like it was going to pop!

Now that it's the week, I work during the days so it'll be tough to brew until this weekend (might be able to brew one evening). How long will that yeast last? Should I wait until weekend or get it done before then? Or should I get a new packet of yeast.

Thanks,
Lorne

Hello,

I believe it was the: http://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_yeaststrain_detail.cfm?ID=4 London Ale.

No not planning on a starter, I was just gonna sanitze the packet and pour in. Had good luck with that in the past.

My OG should be: 1.044-1.048 We'll see if I hit that mark I was a little low on the last stout!

Thanks,
Lorne

Mr malty is telling me 1.7 vials/packs without a starter and if urs is on the lower end of viability u may wanna pitch another fresh one just to be safe if you can. I think with two packs total ull be fine, especially if ur OG ends up on the higher side of that 1.048.

Good to know! So while I get another one shipped to me, should I keep this swollen packet in the fridge? Or out on the counter? It's been on the counter since Saturday and like I said before it's almost fully swollen but not quite.

Also as a side question: should I keep my LME in the fridge?

Thanks,
Lorne

Good to know! So while I get another one shipped to me, should I keep this swollen packet in the fridge? Or out on the counter? It's been on the counter since Saturday and like I said before it's almost fully swollen but not quite.

Also as a side question: should I keep my LME in the fridge?

Thanks,
Lorne

As far as the LME, u can but depending on how fast u rotate thru it, i'd think its an unneccesary step as long as its being stored in an air tight container.

For putting the yeast pack in the fridge, it would depend on how long it will take u to get the new pack. If ur not gonna get it until say friday, i'd say throw it in there for a few days to slow down the yeasties appetite. If ur gonna have it by say wednesday i don't think it'd hurt to leave it out. Just don't let the temp get too high where ur storing it. They may start slowing down and building up their reserves. If u do refrigerate it, make sure u warm it up before pitching so as not to shock them when they hit the wort.

Yup, the LME is in an airtight container. (half gallon milk jug, unopened). I had it in the fridge then removed it to get to room temp in anticipation of brewing Saturday.

I will get my Wyeast pack by mid week. Probably won't brew until Friday. So maybe I'll put the swollen Yeast packet in fridge until then. Then on brew day, I'll pitch both packs.

Thanks for the help!

I'd make a starter. That yeast has lost a lot of viability since Dec. A second smack pack might be just as old as the first, so you'd still be under-pitching.
Besides, a starter would be much faster and cheaper than ordering another yeast pack.

Back