To 2ndary ferment or not 1 gal batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MedBrewer

Reaction score
So what does every one think about 2ndary fermentation for 1 gal batches? Is it work the time and effort to move the brew to another fermenter and off the yeast cake for improved flavor/quality if any? Will secondary fermentation make a beer that is more pure to its true flavors? I keep posts where this goes either way.

It really depends on what you brewed. I just do 3 weeks and keg. If the brew has dry hop or additions I secondary. If its a heavy stout, I secondary.

For a 1 gal batch I wouldn't. Just leave it for a extra couple weeks in primary. You'll lose a significant volume going to secondary with such a small batch and not really gain anything that you can't get just leaving it in primary.

If you are really good at racking, its not an issue. I think the main thing to consider is the vigor of the fermentation. If you are using a glass carboy, sometimes the krausen will literally seal up the neck. When you go to rack, you will have to break through and will have a tough time getting a clear siphon, you can always use a hop bag over the siphon. It will be impossible to dry hop though so a secondary may be necessary.

I secondary 90% of my batches because of the build up, I tend to ferment 1.1 at a low temp, sometimes it doesn't reach, sometimes it does. Either way, I usually end up bottling .9 gallons and am happy with the results. Never an oxidation issue either, but I have yet to age anything close to a year. I got a barleywine right not that I will so I will find out.

I literally rack almost all the beer out of the primary, maybe a couple ounces left, I cold crash so the trub is hard and by the end, the siphon is literally in the trub. I get a few ounces of very cloudy beer but I cold crash again a week later in the secondary. I will have only a small ring at the bottom so you can again rack pretty much all of it. Its very clear after a few days in the fridge. Hope this helps

Personally, I don't see much of a reason to secondary five gallon batches. I see even less reason with a one gallon batch. The more you transfer, the more beer you'll lose to transfer losses and the greater exposure to possible oxygenation and contamination.

I would think about what it is you're trying to accomplish by using a secondary. Most likely, clearer beer, but that can be accomplished by cold crashing which should be easy with a one gallon batch. I don't think an extra few days, or even a few weeks on the yeast is detrimental to the beer's flavor.

Like Pieman said I don't see the point in it unless you are bulk aging on something like Oak or a really big beer. Why go to the trouble, lose beer, and risk infection with little to no benifit of transferring.

Thanks for all the replies guys! I could cold crash a gallon overnight in the fridge and it won't kill my yeast for bottle fermentation? Any particular temps the fridge should be at? I would be interested in trying that cold crashing method with a gallon I have fermenting now,it's using an English ale yeast,that will be ok? After you cold crash how do you proceede to bottling,right away or you let it warm back up?

You'll be just fine cold crashing. There will still be plenty of yeast in suspension to bottle condition. Regular fridge temp works fine. I go straight to bottling without letting it warm up, haven't had any issues with that.

You'll be ok, I usually cold crash for several days. Whatever temp your fridge is at is fine. The colder, without freezing, the faster the effect.

Happy Easter all! That's what I'll do then PitTman,I'll cold crash my current brew for a few days then bottle directly after cold crashing. We have a spare fridge in the garage so it should not be an issue with cold space. It's a SMASH brew I have had in primary for 2 weeks ;)

Back