Clone Beer Founder's Breakfast Stout Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I kegged my 2nd batch of this tonight. It was considerably more bitter on the back end that the initial batch I brewed 8 weeks ago. I missed my OG by a fair amount, perhaps that's why. Still really good, I just hope the coffee bitterness mellows a tad. The initial batch was spot on, I mean really spot on.

Not sure what went wrong but my batch is horrible at 3 months

Smells like rotten Jalopenos....taste makes me want to gag....no roast no chocolate flavors

The initial wort before pitching the yeast didn't seem right ....hardly had any aroma flavor was so so....I followed the original grain bill and hop schedule ....wonder if some of my grain was bad????

No signs of an infection other than the unpleasant aroma but not the typical aroma from an infection

It's a real head scratcher ....I'm not even going to give it more time just dumping it

Sounds like you mashed way low. 1.010 is quite dry for this recipe. Also, the grav is 1.086, so you're 23 pts off. The original recipe is like 8.5%, so I'm not sure what you're talking with yours being higher.

Ooops wrong thread! This was intended for the DFH 60 minute clone thread. I also have this brew fermenting too right now but yeah my bad. Had multiple tabs open in my browser!

So I just got a mr. Beer kit for Christmas once I get use to brewing would I be able to brew a batch of this founders with the mr. Beer kit or do I need Somthing better

shanecndff06 said:
So I just got a mr. Beer kit for Christmas once I get use to brewing would I be able to brew a batch of this founders with the mr. Beer kit or do I need Somthing better

Does anyone know

If you take the recipe to your local homebrew shop they should be able to turn it into a recipe that will work with Mr. Beer. This recipe is for 5 gallons; if I recall Mr. Beer is 2 gallons, so everything would need to be cut by 40%. You'd also need to steep some grains and hops in addition to adding the extract syrup.

All in all, this would be a more advanced recipe than the standard Mr. Beer ones, but I don't see why you couldn't brew it with that equipment.

Split a bottle of this brew( a bit different bc I put 1oz of French oak chips and 5oz bourbon) and it was really rough. Still tastes like drinking coffee in a cup made of oak. It has so much potential. Looks perfect. Mouthfeel is good but alas it just needs time. I really feel this can be my best brew yet, I hope time works in my favor.

Ordered my ingredients for this beer today. I haven't bottled in forever but this one will get bottled so that I can try one periodically. I read this entire thread last night! Some things I took away were to definitely change the 2 row base for your equipment. Beersmith is having me use 13lbs rather than 16lbs. I also had to take down my darks a little to get the color in the high end of the range. For hops, it has me adding an additional ounce of nugget to get IBU up to 60. Going with Wyeast 1056. Great thread! Great beer!

Ordered my ingredients for this beer today. I haven't bottled in forever but this one will get bottled so that I can try one periodically. I read this entire thread last night! Some things I took away were to definitely change the 2 row base for your equipment. Beersmith is having me use 13lbs rather than 16lbs. I also had to take down my darks a little to get the color in the high end of the range. For hops, it has me adding an additional ounce of nugget to get IBU up to 60. Going with Wyeast 1056. Great thread! Great beer!

This is basically what I did. You will like. Good choices.

I brewed this today, with just a couple alterations to the original recipe. I reduced the base malt to 14lbs, upped the bittering hops to a full ounce, and subbed in unsweetened bakers chocolate for the cocoa nibs. This was my first time using my new Corona mill, my first time using brewing software (Brew Pal app), and my first time using a starter I made from yeast I saved from my previous batch's cake (1056).
I got an OG of 1.076, which I think should end up at around 7.2% depending on attenuation. Really looking forward to tasting this one.

We brewed this recipe a little more than 2 months ago now. We let it primary for 4 weeks and then transferred it to a 10-gallon bourbon barrel. We did a barrel tasting with friends last night and everyone said it was the best beverage they had ever tasted, beer or otherwise. One of the ladies told us we had our panty dropper. We will probably give it another 2 months in the barrel. We are planning a Robust Porter to go into that barrel next and do a same day swap once the Port is done fermenting.

After making a first batch of this recipe (OG 1.086 -> FG 1.035) on 9/8/12 I was extremely happy with the result. Thus decided to make another batch on 12/16/12 (OG 1.096). A friend of mine had recently been experimenting with soaking cocoa nibs in high end bourbon and donated the "used" nibs to me. As I am contemplating adding these to the fermenter does anybody have advise on how many ounces to add to get a nice but not overpowering bourbon flavor?

Just bottled this past weekend. 1.093 > 1.022. Now time to forget about it and plan another batch to drink next year. Most likely give it KBS treatment.

After making a first batch of this recipe (OG 1.086 -> FG 1.035) on 9/8/12 I was extremely happy with the result. Thus decided to make another batch on 12/16/12 (OG 1.096). A friend of mine had recently been experimenting with soaking cocoa nibs in high end bourbon and donated the "used" nibs to me. As I am contemplating adding these to the fermenter does anybody have advise on how many ounces to add to get a nice but not overpowering bourbon flavor?

You will be hardpressed to get any bourbon flavor from the nibs anyways, regardless of how long they soaked.

Majority of the flavor was the cocoa going into the bourbon, the liquid has all the flavor, the nibs will have minimal after soaking.

I recently tried a bit of this brew at about 2.5 months into the process and I really liked it!

In a couple of weeks, I'm going to start another batch of it but this time I'd like to get a bit more roasted flavor out of it. I'm thinking about increasing the amount of roasted barley, but I am nervous that I will over-do it. Is there a threshold that I shouldn't go over? How much roasted barley is too much roasted barley?

Conversely, I would be happy to make something that tastes more like Speedway Stout. There is a Speedway Stout clone recipe floating around the net, but I think that is based on an old version of that beer. I think the current version of the Speedway Stout tastes much different. If anyone can point me towards another high gravity roasty stout recipe, I'd be happy to give it a try.

Also, do you guys have any thoughts on using liberty and nugget hops with this recipe?

I recently tried a bit of this brew at about 2.5 months into the process and I really liked it!

In a couple of weeks, I'm going to start another batch of it but this time I'd like to get a bit more roasted flavor out of it. I'm thinking about increasing the amount of roasted barley, but I am nervous that I will over-do it. Is there a threshold that I shouldn't go over? How much roasted barley is too much roasted barley?

Conversely, I would be happy to make something that tastes more like Speedway Stout. There is a Speedway Stout clone recipe floating around the net, but I think that is based on an old version of that beer. I think the current version of the Speedway Stout tastes much different. If anyone can point me towards another high gravity roasty stout recipe, I'd be happy to give it a try.

Also, do you guys have any thoughts on using liberty and nugget hops with this recipe?

roasted barley can get rather intense. i would start by upping it to a full pound, maybe 1.25 maximum, and see how that works. would be a shame to go overboard and ruin a whole batch.

i have no info on the speedway stout. i'm assuming you've googled it...

liberty and nugget hops: i'm of the opinion that the hops don't really matter in this beer. there are so many other flavors and aromas going on and so few hops, that the hops aren't really noticeable. so go for it.

Brewed up a 3 gallon version of this on Sunday. Rough brew day, but everything seems to have worked out. Checked on it 16 hours after pitching and the airlock was going crazy. Switched to a blowoff tube, just in case, but haven't really needed it. Activity is still pretty high, but the krausen hasn't quite made it's way out of the carboy. The coffee aroma coming off of this thing is amazing. can't wait to taste this.

shamrockshake.jpg

16 lbs. American 2-row
1 lbs American Chocolate Malt
.75 lbs Roasted Barley
9 oz American Black Patent
7 oz Crystal Malt 120°L
22 oz Oats Flaked

.5 oz Nugget (Whole, 13.00 %AA) boiled 60 min.
.5 oz Mt. Hood (Pellets, 5.00 %AA) boiled 30 min.
.5 oz Mt. Hood (Pellets, 5.00 %AA) boiled 2 min.

2 oz Ground Sumatran coffee at flameout
2 oz Ground Kona coffee cold brewed, added at bottling
2.5 oz Dark bittersweet baker's chocolate at 15 mins.
1.5 oz Unsweetened chocolate baking nibs at 15 mins.

2 pkg. DCL Yeast Safale S-04 Top Quality Ale Yeast

Mashed at 155F for 60 mins. 1.33 qt/lb.

Again, BYO's Replicator numbers didn't match up to Founder's website, so I adjusted. Specifically, the IBUs are waaaay off.

How do you make "cold brewed" coffee?
Can i just brew A cup of coffee normally, & dump it in at kegging?

I believe it makes it less bitter but I do not know personally. Hopefully someone with more knowledge can chime in for you.

Correct, cold brewing reduces the astringency of the coffee. You will get a smooth coffee taste without the harsh bitterness.

I'm going to start another batch of it but this time I'd like to get a bit more roasted flavor out of it. I'm thinking about increasing the amount of roasted barley, but I am nervous that I will over-do it. Is there a threshold that I shouldn't go over? How much roasted barley is too much roasted barley?

I would consider adding a small amount of Chocolate malt OR some Carafa III. The Carafa malts are de-bittered, but can add some roast character. I use about 8oz Carafa and 4oz Chocolate in lighter ~5% beers for a touch of dark character, but to remain smooth.

~Adam

Correct, cold brewing reduces the astringency of the coffee. You will get a smooth coffee taste without the harsh bitterness.

I shy'd away from cold extracted coffee in my beer this year. Last year when I brewed this beer, I found a green-pepper-like character came out of the beer after a couple months; only some people are sensitive to it, but I believe it's some oxidation in the coffee and beer. When you add coffee or cold extract with standard non-boiled water, you are adding some oxygen to the beer. You may consider boiling the water before cold extract to reduce the oxygen content. YMMV.

I was going to comment on this subject anyway, so it's good timing. Many pages back I mentioned on my beer I used the flameout boil additions, but "dry beaned" the beer in the primary fermenter with 4oz whole bean coffee.

The beer was very coffee forward when young and still was at 4-5 months old. The coffee has began to subside as the beer matures; it's coming into it's own now.

Cheers,
~Adam

I used regular coffee out of my keurig. Tastes great, seems to be no more bitter than when i cold brewed it. Side by side i couldn't tell a difference between mine and the real deal.

I brewed this about a month and a half ago and opened the first one yesterday. I did both coffee additions, and I don't feel it was too much. I reduced the base malt to 14lbs, and ended up at around 7.8% abv. LOVING this recipe - it's going to be tough to save a few for aging.

made this on saturday. og was low at 1073. oh well.
first stout ive ever made and im excited to taste it. smelled great.
thanks for the recipe OP!

Bottled the extract version 11/13/2012 and it's great now! The coffee mellowed out and has a rich robust quality without being sweet.

ShaKeyJ said:
Bottled the extract version 11/13/2012 and it's great now! The coffee mellowed out and has a rich robust quality without being sweet.

Any way I could get the extract recipe? This is only my second batch. Not quite ready for all grain. Thanks

http://***********/component/k2/item/1857-founder’s-brewings-breakfast-stout-clone?Itemid=398

Took awhile to find it. BYO redid their site or something. Has extract and all grain option.

Great cold-brewed coffee begins with one cup good-quality, whole coffee beans and one quart (four cups) cold or room-temperature filtered water. You'll also need a quart-sized pitcher, jar or pot, some cling film and a refrigerator.
As with hot coffee, fresh-ground beans result in the best-tasting coffee. Coarse-grind your coffee beans. If you're using a smaller grinder (like the on pictured) grind in several batches.

Place the coffee beans into the pitcher. Slowly add cold or room temperature filtered water, stirring as you go. Stirring well moistens the beans, ensuring an even and flavorful brew.

Cover the brewing vessel with cling wrap (such as Saran Wrap) or with a lid. Place it in the fridge overnight (or for roughly 12 hours).

Use any type of coffee filter to separate the grounds from the cold-brewed coffee. Pour slowly to avoid overflow.

Some people prefer to use a wire mesh sieve to remove large particles of coffee before filtering finer grounds with a paper or metal filter.

Once it has been filtered, cold-brewed coffee is ready to serve. Add ice cubes, coffee ice cubesor a liquid sweetener if desired.

Cold-brewed coffee will stay fresh up to two weeks if covered and refrigerated.

Not sure if link will work so here is the BYO from 2009

Founder’s Brewing's Breakfast Stout Clone

Author: Betsy Parks Issue: January/February 2009
Try making this homebrew-sized batch of Founders Brewing Company's tasty stout - for breakfast even!

--

Founder’s Brewing Company Breakfast Stout

(5 gallons/ 19 L, extract with grains) OG = 1.078 FG = 1.020 IBUs = 60 SRM = 59 ABV = 7.5 %

Ingredients:
6.6 lbs. (3.0 kg) Briess light, unhopped, malt extract
1.7 lbs. (0.77 kg) light dry extract
22 oz. (0.62 kg) flaked oats
1.0 lb. (0.45 kg) chocolate malt (350 °L)
12 oz. (0.34 kg) roast barley malt (450 °L)
9.0 oz. (0.25 kg) debittered, black malt (530 °L)
7.0 oz. (0.19 kg) crystal malt (120 °L)
2.0 oz. (57 g) ground Sumatran coffee
2.0 oz. (57 g) ground Kona coffee
2.5 oz. (71 g) dark, bittersweet baker’s chocolate
1.5 oz. (43 g) unsweetened chocolate baking nibs
14.3 AAU Nugget pellet hops (60 min.) (1.1 oz./ 31 g of 13% alpha acid)
2.5 AAU Willamette pellet hops (30 min.) (0.5 oz./ 14 g of 5 % alpha acid)
2.5 AAU Willamette pellet hops (0 min.) (0.5 oz./ 14 g of 5 % alpha acid)
1⁄2 tsp. yeast nutrient (last 15 minutes)
1⁄2 tsp. Irish moss (last 15 minutes
White Labs WLP 001 (American Ale) or Wyeast 1056 (American Ale) yeast
0.75 cup (150 g) of corn sugar for priming (if bottling)

Step by Step:
Steep the crushed grain in 2 gallons (7.6 L) of water at 155 ºF (68 ºC) for 30 minutes. Remove grains from the wort and rinse with 2 quarts (1.8 L) of hot water. Add the liquid and dried malt extracts and bring to a boil. Add the hops and Irish moss as per the schedule. Add the Sumatran coffee and two chocolate varieties at the end of the boil. Add the wort to 2 gallons (7.6 L) of cold water in a sanitized fermenter and top off with cold water up to 5 gallons (19 L). Cool the wort to 75 ºF (24 ºC). Pitch the yeast and aerate the wort heavily. Allow the beer to cool to 68 ºF (20 ºC). Hold at that temperature until fermentation is complete. Transfer to a carboy, avoiding any splashing. Add the Kona coffee and condition for one week, then bottle or keg. Carbonate and age for two weeks.

All-grain option:
This is a single step infusion mash. Replace the malt extracts with 13.2 lbs. (6 kg) 2-row pale malt. Mix the crushed grains with 3.75 gallons (14 L) of 172 °F (78° C) water to stabilize at 155 ºF (68º C) for 60 minutes. Sparge slowly with 175 ºF (79º C) water. Collect approximately 6 gallons (23 L) of wort runoff to boil for 60 minutes. Reduce the 60 minute hop addition to 1 oz. (28 g) and the 30 minute addition to 0.4 oz. (11 g) to allow for the higher utilization factor of a full wort boil. Follow the remainder of the extract with grain recipe.

Has anyone brewed this recipe without the chocolate and coffee? I've been looking for a good basic stout recipe and this one looks great.

-Mike

i want to brew this recipe, but i only have a 10 gallon rubbermaid mash tun, which i read gets maxed out with this recipe if i use thee 16lbs of two row. i just am not sure how i would add my mash out water if the mash tun is already full to the top. is it possible to skip the mashout and just empty the first runnings and go straight to the batch sparge? or can i empty out enough of the first runnings to be able to fit in my mashout water?

i wouldn't skip mashout on this beer. if you do, you won't stop conversion and your beer can end up too thin.

i would suggest adding as much grain as you can, and making up the missing gravity with extract. only cut out base malt, make sure you still get your full amount of specialty grains.

Back