Brew pot recommendations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awiens

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm looking to purchase a @9 gallon brew pot and am interested in recommendations and suggestions. I currently do extract brews, five gallon batches, using propane. Thanks!

Pardon my ignorance but what is the benefit of the pots with couplers? Is it to transfer the wort to the fermenter without having to pour it? Or is there more to it?

And thank you all for the suggestions! My wife now has Christmas ideas! A win-win!

Pardon my ignorance but what is the benefit of the pots with couplers? Is it to transfer the wort to the fermenter without having to pour it? Or is there more to it?

The couplers are for thermometers, valve, sight glasses, false bottoms, etc. Most people use a valve (for draining) and a thermometer. A false bottom/dip tube/Bazooka tube can also be attached on the inside.

The couplers are for thermometers, valve, sight glasses, false bottoms, etc. Most people use a valve (for draining) and a thermometer. A false bottom/dip tube/Bazooka tube can also be attached on the inside.

IME, dip tubes are of much more value in a BK than false bottoms or bazooka screens.

Excellent info! Thanks. There's always more to learn isn't there?!

I've had a 36 qt (9 gal) bayou classic for years. Works great for 5 gallon batches.

How about a brand new 1/2 bbls keg for $135! This company sells them: www.toscaltd.com/industriesservedbeerkegs.html

I am having problems navigating the site or finding these kegs, is there a products page I'm missing? Thanks

Would you stop spamming threads with that link/company??

For one thing, they cater to businesses that are brewing, NOT home brewers.

Would you stop spamming threads with that link/company??

For one thing, they cater to businesses that are brewing, NOT home brewers.

How do you say they do not cater to home brewers? I am a home brewer and i have an email from them stating they sell new kegs, they do not sell used or damaged kegs. At least the office in Green Bay does. New for $135, 1/2 barrel.

How about a brand new 1/2 bbls keg for $135!

I am having problems navigating the site or finding these kegs, is there a products page I'm missing? Thanks

JP, you can not buy anything directly off the site, call or email them. Left hand side under markets served, then beer. I saw this and decided to email them, next morning they replied (right around 4 weeks ago). Again, this was the corporate office in Green Bay, maybe they are the only plant selling kegs out of the many across the country. I would bet you have to be in the area to pick up.

How do you say they do not cater to home brewers? I am a home brewer and i have an email from them stating they sell new kegs, they do not sell used or damaged kegs. At least the office in Green Bay does. New for $135, 1/2 barrel.

I looked at the site.

At $135 for a 1/2 barrel you're getting an USED keg..

"Beer keg sales
They might be “used,” but to our customers kegs arrive in like-new condition. When breweries want to sell their keg float, they look to Tosca to buy the kegs in bulk. Tosca will thoroughly recondition a keg, and then find a new home for the kegs. The valves are inspected, cleaned and rebuilt as necessary and kegs are “cleaned to the metal” on the inside. All previous markings, stickers, etc. are removed on the outside. "

Sorry to burst your bubble, but 'like new' is still NOT new. You can buy brand spankin new (as in still with the after-birth on them) from Geemacher for $143 (price per for under a pallet load) each. Or I can get one that's used from the local guy who gets them from the recycle center the regional breweries and distributors use. I can get those for about half the price, without any shipping costs (~20-25 minute drive). I can even pick over the ones that are available to make sure I get one I like. With the place you're linking to, you get what you get and have zero choice.

Also, I DID email the place you linked to several days ago asking about different size offerings. Guess what, nothing, nadda, crickets, etc... At least Geemacher replies to emails within 1-2 business days.

So, yeah, IMO the link you're posting is SPAM. It's almost as if you're being paid/compensated by these guys to promote them. :eek: Oh, and just because YOU'RE getting SPAM from them, but don't see it as such, doesn't mean it's not SPAM to the rest of us.

golddiggie, I am not a spammer, they did not spam me. I go to multiple forums to learn, such as here, Nothernbrewer, AHA and ProBrewer. While on Probrewer I saw a post stating Tosca had new kegs in stock from Schaefer, the post is dated 10-24-12, I saw it around 29 Oct. Because I am looking at options for a brew kettle and HLT I went to thier site and after looking it over thought I could get a used/damaged keg for a lot less than a new SS stock pot and be ethical about it. I clicked the keg sales email on their contact list and the next morning a Kim replied stating "... don't have used right now. The only kegs I have are brand new and they are priced at $135 each for 1/2 bbls". Do they sell used, very likely and probably. Do they always have new, probably not. Someone asked for options, I simply gave one. In the South Central part of WI there are no used kegs that i have found, ethically, called salvage yards, check craigs list all the time. Search ProBrewer for Tosca and you will find the links.

I had no intention to spam and for the last few years of reading this site have hardly posted at all.

+1 on the 11 gallon Bayou Classic! It's plenty thick and I havent found a better bang for the buck in that size kettle.

I have an 11 gal as well and love it. Went to EC Kraus home-brew supplies (it's a local shop but have a web page as well) and got a weld-less bulkhead/ball-valve with a bazooka screen I drilled in the other day. Looking forward to trying that out shortly!

Let me know how that works out. I'm on the fence with the weld-less valves but it's something that I'd like to do if I knew it wouldn't be a leaker!

Let me know how that works out. I'm on the fence with the weld-less valves but it's something that I'd like to do if I knew it wouldn't be a leaker!

I have a couple of weldless pots. I have ball valves and sight glasses. Probably have 2 dozen batches without any leaking. I was a little skeptical, but i'm pretty happy.

Nagorg said:

First thing I did was put a few gallons if water to boil with no issues so I'm thinking I'll be good to go. Thinking about a sight gauge too but may just get another kettle with all the bells and whistles but this works well for now.

Tons of us are using drilled pots with weldless ports. Give it a test run first and you'll be fine.

Is it worth the money to get one with the welds versus the ones without? I have no plans of attempting any drilling... That could be a disaster! So I'm debating between the cheaper variety 10 gallon stock pot vs. the kind with two welds so I could put in a thermometer and whatnot. Thanks again!

I just picked up the 1044 (arrived today in fact!). I would like to drill it for a weldless but have no experience drilling pots. Suggestions on how to go about drilling this pot to accept a 1/2" weldless kit?

Much appreciated in advance!

Mouse

You can do a search for more information but basically:
  • Use a bi-metal hole saw or a step bit (personally, I like the hole saw better but others disagree).
  • Lots of oil.
  • Keep your RPM pretty low to avoid work hardening the SS.
SS is pretty hard to machine but you're dealing with pretty thin stock so it's not so bad.

I have to say that I just ordered a 20G kettle from Spike Brewing that's already setup with welded couplers. (Thanks for the last discount Ben!) I haven't received it yet but cant wait for the first batch from it.

Now, I am thinking about adding a ball valve to my 11G kettle. Guess I may try a weld less setup unless I can find a local welder for a good price. I still like the thought of welded better...

I did 3 holes in my 1044 using the small step bit from Brewhardware.com and following the directions on the website. Came out great and I'm very happy with my kettle.

image-3385712332.jpg

Check out the sticky on silver soldering fittings in the DIY section. It's a nice happy medium between the ease of weldless and the strength of welding.

I'm sorry to ask, but what is the sight glass for? I'm looking for a new kettle to start BIAB or traditional AG. Looking for a 15 gal, want the thermo....not sure what purpose the sight glass serves. Want to know though!

Back