Pool Fermentation - Controlling your temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moerdertaktiken

Reaction score
Hello all!
So here's a technique i've come up with and used with great success in the past year or so. I live in Texas, and controlling fermentation temperatures for ales can be a daunting task. I have a kegerator that I use for lagering, but can't reach ale temps without a temp controller (which I just haven't gotten around to buying yet, anyone got a link for how to make one?). Anyways, I do have a pool, which sits at 62-63 during spring and fall. I've been floating the fermenter in the pool to maintain proper temps. Thoughts, questions or concerns? Let's hear it.

first that is awesome.

secondly I would be concerned about light depending on what you ferment in. or any animals or fermenter tipping into the water.

Oh that reminds me, I forgot to add that I use a plastic fermenter with a black garbage bag tied around the outside to prevent any sort of light exposure. Hillbilly brewing I guess? haha

Tinga said:
first that is awesome.

secondly I would be concerned about light depending on what you ferment in. or any animals or fermenter tipping into the water.

I agree...great idea. Just remember your beer temps will be a few degrees above the water temp and rock on.

Do go all patting yourself on the back thinking you were the first one on here to do it.....Unfortunately the pic is gone...But here is the thread...

Eco-Friendly Homemade Wort Chiller

It was a great pic of the kettle floating being held up by pool noodles.

Someone beat your idea by about 5 years.... ;)

Then there's this...

sdc13004n.jpg

More than 5 years, in the complete joy of homebrewing Charlie papazzian mentions someone using a pool to ferment in (or keep the beer cool while fermenting to be more accurate). IT has a cute picture of a scuba diver and the bucket fermentor with bubble coming up from the fermentor.

I think in the book he mentioned AZ as the location, but it was a 'when it is hard to get it cool, use what you have available'

Moerdertaktiken
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes

I didn't know New York was in Texas...
Lol as you can see i'm not very active on the forums. Made this account when I was at college. In the DFW area currently. Anyways... I figured I didn't "invent" this technique, but thought i'd share it anyways. Good to see that these forums are full of friendly people! :mug:

Back