20' immersion chiller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewScout

Reaction score
Would a 20' immersion with a 10' pre-chiller be enough to bring 5 1/2 gallons of boiling wort down to pitching temps within a reasonable amount of time? I only ask because 20' is the longest coil I can get without spending a ton of money on 60'.

I use a 25' coil, and it (with stirring/whirpooling while i'm chilling) takes about 10-15 minutes to cool below 80º. I'd imagine 20' would be just fine.

It'll work just fine, i have found that stirring the wort makes a huge difference in the amount of time to cool, maybe stirring the prechiller will make this thing zoom right along

Thanks guys.
I have 2 more questions. Clear PVC tubing has a maximum working temp of 175*. Would it be ok to use this on the hot water out side of a chiller? Would this work to connect garden hose to kitchen sink?

Thanks guys.
I have 2 more questions. Clear PVC tubing has a maximum working temp of 175*. Would it be ok to use this on the hot water out side of a chiller? Would this work to connect garden hose to kitchen sink?

I use clear PVC for everything in my brewery. No noted off-flavors, even in competition. Just make sure you have no restrictions in flow on the output side whatsoever as the softened tubing can bubble and even burst if there is restriction.

I connect to sink. You may need an adapter.

Back