water filled pepsi machine on american restoration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monty73741

Reaction score
So i;m watching this show and someone wanted a restored pepsi machine from the 40's. this machine would fill with water and after u put your money in you got it out of the water. the guy said it was a more even cold.

So it got me thinking when i make my keezer. i might do this. I know everyone gonna say the drain hole gonna leak but my neighbor does sheet metal work and could make me sleeve that would go down in it. It just seems that beer would stay colder and the thing would maybe consume less energy because wouldnt it be easier to keep water the same temp as opposed to air

So i;m watching this show and someone wanted a restored pepsi machine from the 40's. this machine would fill with water and after u put your money in you got it out of the water. the guy said it was a more even cold.

So it got me thinking when i make my keezer. i might do this. I know everyone gonna say the drain hole gonna leak but my neighbor does sheet metal work and could make me sleeve that would go down in it. It just seems that beer would stay colder and the thing would maybe consume less energy because wouldnt it be easier to keep water the same temp as opposed to air

I'm thinking a big water bath is a perfect place for infection to grow.

I think that you would be making a mistake, your kegs will take longer to cool as center core of keg will cool slowly, plus as the beer exits and co2 enters they will want to float.....my.02

Maybe put some sanitizer in the water to keep the bacterial count low? Not sure how well the keezer would like that. Could always strap down the kegs to handle the floating issue.. and I don't think it would cause the keg to cool slower... it would take a while to get the water to the desired temperature but it should actually cool the keg easier as water will transfer the heat way faster than the air (same reason we use water instead of air in chillers)

I think your prose has more problems than the old Pepsi machine.

second that. I don't usually mention such things, but your post took quite a bit of work to read!
I also believe you will have more trouble than its worth -not only due to the reasons listed above, but this will also put stress on the sides of the freezer, and may well cause a leak over time -flooding the metal shell of the freezer and possibly giving you an eye-opening shock one day.

It is true that the less (air) volume you have to chill, the more efficient the keezer will work. So either put more kegs in there (good reason to brew more) or put something in those kegs (cleaning solution?) and put them in there until you need them. That way you avoid all the pitfalls the other posters have mentioned, and make good use of your space.

well the chest freezer has a plug to drain water so the sleeve will stop that.
bacteria growth i;m not worried about because it is far lower then the temperature danger zone.

All I can do is fail, it will be in my basement and i;m laying that vynl hardwood floor.

get more kegs, fill these kegs, put as many kegs as can fit in keezer... then you are basically doing the same thing but in a much more leak proof way.... if you run out of beer in said kegs you could store them full of sanitizer in the keezer. the temps will be more stable it is true but honestly it doesnt seem like it is worth the hassle to make the freezer water tight

i agree but my neighbor does sheet metal work so it wont cost me a thing. I;m gonna score a freeezer off craigslist for free. So its a project i just want to try

Well as it appears you are going to do this project regardless of any input why did you ask in the first place? Just knock yourself out and report the results.

what ever....thanks ass holes for being so negative.....

stick you hand in the frigde
then chill a gallon of water in a fridge and stick you hand it it. tell me what is colder....

OH I also dont all grain brew does that mean i;m not a real home brewer....

what ever....thanks ass holes for being so negative.....

stick you hand in the frigde
then chill a gallon of water in a fridge and stick you hand it it. tell me what is colder....

OH I also dont all grain brew does that mean i;m not a real home brewer....

Who said anything about you not being a real home brewer? The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

Do it and give us the results and who knows it may just work like a charm. Experimenting is exactly how new techniques are made.

Hmm. Offhand an easy floating keg fix would be to drill a small hole in the rubber base of the kegs and 'zip strip' it to a rack or something to keep it from floating away. Not very elegant, but super quick and easy.

While water is a bad idea imo, you are on to something. It seems that what you are trying to do is increase your thermal mass. Air is a poor thermal conductor. Fill your keezer with smaller water bottles, or anything really to fill in the empty space. Once the water bottles, etc got cool they would aid in keeping the rest of the keezer cool.

while water is a bad idea imo, you are on to something. It seems that what you are trying to do is increase your thermal mass. Air is a poor thermal conductor. Fill your keezer with smaller water bottles, or anything really to fill in the empty space. Once the water bottles, etc got cool they would aid in keeping the rest of the keezer cool.

or, moar kegs!

Didn;T yoo Hear? Neighbors is a machine shop person. Why not flood the hole basement with just lade hardwoods floor;s?

(I is ass hole I think;s.....;))

fosaisu said:
Whoops ...

For what it's worth, thanks for bumping this old thread. It was amusing to read. ;)
What's even more amusing is the guy's last post ever was in this thread. I guess he wasn't happy with real, honest feedback about his idea.

It was total trollery.

A drunk "seems like a good idea" whim that the ****** took to seriously and then cried and took his ball home.

cheezydemon3 said:
It was total trollery.

A drunk "seems like a good idea" whim that the ****** took to seriously and then cried and took his ball home.

Hey guys, I want to package and carbonate my beer in plastic Walmart grocery bags tied in a knot at the top. My buddy and I were drinking really late one night and thought: Why are we wasting money on beer bottles when Walmart grocery bags come free?
I know this will work!
Don't disagree with me or I'm outta here!
:p

Hey guys, I want to package and carbonate my beer in plastic Walmart grocery bags tied in a knot at the top. My buddy and I were drinking really late one night and thought: Why are we wasting money on beer bottles when Walmart grocery bags come free?
I know this will work!
Don't disagree with me or I'm outta here!
:p

Cool been wondering what it would take:p

Latest posts

Back