Setting Carboy directly on ground not safe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewHistorian

Reaction score
Has anyone else heard about the Earths ability to draw energy from an object that is in direct contact with the ground before? My local brew shop owner suggests placing your fermenters on wood planks or some other item in order to separate the fermenter from the ground. He claims that the earth naturally draws energy into itself and it will draw energy from anything in contact with the ground. The wood planks are to separate the fermenter and earth and this will keep your yeast safe and active during fermentation. Anyone else do this/hear about this before? Or is my brew store owner crazy?

Huh? I keep mine off the concrete floor in my basement because it's cold. Sounds like a bunch of spiritual mumbo jumbo to me.

Has anyone else heard about the Earths ability to draw energy from an object that is in direct contact with the ground before?

Yeah. At a Grateful Dead show. From some guy named Crisper who was twirling glow in the dark sticks and wearing a Lizard costume. It was pretty cool. But I just kept walking.

Oh.....My......God......

:rolleyes:

This is going to be fun....

old_hippie_very_old_hippies_1.jpg

Has anyone else heard about the Earths ability to draw energy from an object that is in direct contact with the ground before? My local brew shop owner suggests placing your fermenters on wood planks or some other item in order to separate the fermenter from the ground. He claims that the earth naturally draws energy into itself and it will draw energy from anything in contact with the ground. The wood planks are to separate the fermenter and earth and this will keep your yeast safe and active during fermentation. Anyone else do this/hear about this before? Or is my brew store owner crazy?

Not actually crazy, but ...... aw shiat, yes, he actually does sound crazy.

Are you afraid of walking barefoot and having all your life energy sucked out through the bottom of your feet?

my carboys sit on the floor of my bedroom....I agree with another poster, but I will not mock it mumbo jumbo...I dont want to piss off the beer gods, they are good to me!

I've been told before not to set a car battery directly on the ground, as it will drain the charge.

A carboy though? I bet that guy has some real entertainment value.

Instead of wood planks, I think the best way to combat Earth's energy is a specially made tin foil hat for each carboy. :D

Have to assume they threw this guy out of San Francisco for his oddball craziness.

so the concrete foundation, padding/carpet or hardwood floors is not sufficient insulation (if his premise was even true) but adding a plank will provide adequate insulation?

is he assuming you are keeping your carboy outside on the dirt?

what energy is would be sucked from the carboy?

I was told as a child to never sit directly on the ground and that I should always sit on a jacket or a book or piece of wood or something. The reason being hemmoroids, though.

You learn something new everyday...:mug:

(Boy I'm glad I just didn't google for the answer...that would have required eyebleach I'm sure.)
Google images might have come up with the image you posted along with a lot worse examples :D

its true to an extinct.

Google "Bionic band"

here is the test I preformed.

I stood on one leg with my arms out to my side to balance.
I was told to not let the big 6' guy push down to knock me out of balance(needless to say I fell over trying my hardest not to let him)

he then gave me the bionic band to hold on to in my left hand and he said ok lets do it again.

this time around I was rock solid, I wasn't budging.

now I am not sure how much truth there is to it, but I kid you not it was the weirdest feeling ever.

he also says that if your at the beach or lake and just have your feel in the water you are grounded and essentially the same thing.

-=Jason=-

Last edited by a moderator:

Unless the energy in question is heat, your LHBS owner is a nut-job.

so is this why when im passed out on the floor from drinking all night, i wake up with no energy..(the earth stole it from me.. damn... i need to pass out on plywood then) hmmmm i always thought it was a mystery!

I've never heard of a shirtcocker or dickshirter but cocksman yes very familiar with

-= jason =-

Instead of wood planks, I think the best way to combat Earth's energy is a specially made tin foil hat for each carboy. :D

cmon, everyone knows the best way to combat earths energy is to set the carboy on a flux capacitor. when the hydrometer reads 1.21 gigawatts its ready :cross:

HEY! Those tinfoil hats won't work! They're the wrong shape!:rockin:

That's true...everyone knows that the pyramid is the perfect shape for transference of energy to the heavans (the Egyptians were onto something...further proof that they were actually space aliens). A pyramid tin foil air cover should help funnel those pesky Earth energies.

superjunior said:
cmon, everyone knows the best way to combat earths energy is to set the carboy on a flux capacitor. when the hydrometer reads 1.21 gigawatts its ready

[Slaps head]....of course it makes sense though....the flux capacitor is a modern day pyramid.

:D:drunk:

If you put the carboy on the ground, the earth will likely absorb some of the energy in the form of heat transfer. If you're like me, you can't keep your beer cool enough, and your floor is cold, so but the carboy on the floor.

And also, find another LHBS.

Wasnt there something recently about the tides or the full moon and brewing?

There is certainly a 28 day cycle that a good brewer should be taking into account when they decided to take over the kitchen for a day, but I don't think it has anything to do with the tides.

Apparently your LHBS guy is on the ball with the particle physics community! I have heard of such metaphysical evidence or neutrinos causing beer to become skunked or even causing stuck fermentations, but I thought it was just me.

Oddly enough, I am located between Fermi Lab and the University of Minnesota, directly in the path of the neutrino beams being fired for detection by physicists there. http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/Looking-for-Neutrinos-Natures-Ghost-Particles.html

This, of course, has a terrible effect on my beers. I can't place them on the ground anywhere in my home, for these neutrinos will just draw the lifeforce energy from the yeasts and kill my fermentations. I can ojnly stop the neutrino penetrations by placing my carboys on wood planks. Also, a cigar box stirplate (like used by cheapass homebrewers) also will work. I guess cardboard is close enough in material composition to be similar to wood? It is amazing how this wood just soaks up the neutrinos and allows my fermentations to complete normally.

Of course, I thought this was simply an effect of being in the neutrino beam, but I guess the neutrinos are everywhere... who knew?

I just opened a wood plank store. Maybe this discovery will make me rich. Baby needs diapers!

Back